Anywhere other than Salton Sea an Option?

John_Gilmore

Feb 26, 2013
So I've only hunted the Salton Sea in California for waterfowl, mainly because some of my hunting buddies say anywhere else is hardly worth the drive. I'm in San Diego, anywhere near there good? I've heard San Jacinto? Any private clubs? or Mexico?

I'm just looking to have other options than the Salton Sea, the mud and stink is miserable there... even though their are a lot of ducks. ha

John_Gilmore said:
So I've only hunted the Salton Sea in California for waterfowl, mainly because some of my hunting buddies say anywhere else is hardly worth the drive. I'm in San Diego, anywhere near there good? I've heard San Jacinto? Any private clubs? or Mexico?

I'm just looking to have other options than the Salton Sea, the mud and stink is miserable there... even though their are a lot of ducks. ha

The mud, stink, mosquitoes, hot weather and all the other discomforts make it memorable....for me at least.

Try getting in on the San Diego County lakes. They have hunts at Barrett. Its a lottery.

Lake Cuyamaca also has duck hunts. I think you need to buy a membership or something like that. Less mud and stink for you. :)

Any place other than the sea worth it? Yes but it's hard to find a good spot. Sj is a good refuge and closer than wister. There are lots of clubs that shoot good near the sea but most have waiting lists. Prado basin can be ok. You won't find much info on public land hunting because no one wants to share. It takes years to learn how to get ducks on public water. Mexico is not a option...

Ya' and the river is not an option either! Nor is Indian land! ;)

The New River is a good option if typhoid is your goal!

Mexico is just to scary right now.

Sdbirds said:
I kill a lot off the new river

I like the authenticity that the yellow film from the water gives the decoys. Also when the trash flows by and hits the decoys it gives them motion.

Haha well I'm going to be trying to hunt birds a lot this fall/winter so would love to go out wherever with any of you guys. To Salton Sea or San Jacinto... Hopefully we can get together.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu