AR 15 Question - Converted back to regular Mag Release - Difficulty Symptoms happening.

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Ok, so I drill out the center pin from my "bullet-button" BushMaster QRC XM-15. And replaced the parts with a regular mag-release button kit from MidwayUSA.

Problem I'm having... and I'm wondering if I just turned that new screw/mage-release part a lil too much perhaps?

I have to really give it an extra smack on the button of the mag to get it to lock-in when it seats. And the button takes what I feel is a significant push to pop it open, and you still have to pull the stock 10-rd mag down and outta there.

My major concern is the need to really be so forcefully with smacking in the bottom of the mag with this new regular-button functioning hardware. My initial gut feeling is that perhaps I need to back-out a few revolution the bar which it pushes outward on the other side of the mag well.

Does that sound about right to you seasoned AR-15 guys?

Thanks in Advance for your helpful input.

If your inserting a full mag on a closed bolt you should give the bottom of it a good smack anyways. And yes if the button is hard to push then try backing the release lever a revolution or two.

Ok cool. I kinda figured it was probably too many revolutions of that bar when screwing it into the button. I'll see if I can get back to looking at that probably tomorrow in the PM. Thanks!

And yeah... even before changing out the mag-release button for a regular one... there was one time I was walking along a game-trail side-hilling and the damn mag fell out! Thankfully it was quiet when it happened otherwise I could totally see not knowing it had occurred! Ever since that day I always give a second smack onto the bottom of the mag, then attempt to pull it back down to check to ensure it's engaged.

To create space to clear the lower, when rotating that bar, I was pushing in the button in order to do so... so I figure I probably just gave it a couple more screw-in rotations than it probably needs. The mag-release button is very stiff now, and pops in only after you've pushed down on it harder than a certain threshold value of force which seems exceedingly / unnecessarily high. And also since the mag doesn't want to fall out of it's own accord, that was the other symptom that made me think I probably screwed it in just a little too far.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu