AR build

Larry Cochran

Utah Buck 2010
Jan 8, 2011
Alpine, Ca
Coming along, who prefers a red dot type sight or a scope?

Attachments

• 20140513_165912.jpg
    20140513_165912.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20140513_165930.jpg
    20140513_165930.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20140513_165841.jpg
    20140513_165841.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Looks good I trained with red dots for close quarters I'll never use anything else. My red dot will do 3" groups at 100 yards but past 100 or for hunting I prefer a 3-9 scope. My wife uses a 1.75-4 scope serves dual purpose for her. Don't forget about back ups wether in tactical or hunting nothing is worse then being a day into a hunting trip or a fire fight and loose your primary.

Looks good keep it up.

Red dot v scope. My preference would depend on use. If you're going to be hunting get a scope. If you want a target shooting or tactical weapon then use a red dot.

red dot for up close as it is super fast on target acquisition, scope for everything else, you can have both by mounting the dot to the side of the scope, all you have to do is turn the rifle slightly to use the dot.

i like the red dot on the side to especially for close in hogs when your need may change fast.

The VX-R series has a 1.25-4 power scope that does all of the above (it is a red dot).

I have a couple ar's one has an Aimpoint patrol and the other has the VX-R 1.5 -4 both are m4's I can tell you from experience that they are different in the way they handle and are used. The Aimpoint is non magnified and meant to be used with both eyes open just like shooting a shotgun and works quite well that way because with both eyes open you have a much larger field of view, quicker target acquisition and it does not confuse your eyes with one eye seeing a magnified image and the other not. I have tried to use both eyes open on the VX-R and don't care for it in that regime. The VX-R is a great scope but is bulky and heavy because of the 30mm tube, the 1.5 magnification just does not lend itself as well to both eyes open. Because of that I don't think that the VX-R is a suitable replacement for a non magnified red dot. The red dot is built for very close quarters and while the VX-R with its low magnification is better suited to one eye open. In my opinion they are apples and oranges when compared to one another. That all being said the Aimpiont is meant for putting fire on target while the VX-R is capable of a bit more precision

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu