archery season tag help

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Hey all. As some of you know (thanks for all the help) my oldest son (17 in July) will be hunting his first archery season with his new bow. He did really good last summer and got 2 A's and Got a new bow for his hard work. he has been keeping his grades up 3.8GPA and has also been practicing religiously. He started with our 35Yard back yard range and after shooting over 100 arrows a day he out grew it in a few weeks. We got a family membership at our local archery club (verdugo hills archers) only 5 min up the road. He his shooting 6" groups in all weather with all kinds of clothes out to 60 yards. Im one proud father. :)

To expand our chances during archery season he would like to apply for an antlerless tag.

We usually hunt D11 and D13. We like to stay closer to home since its easier to scout and i know the areas very well.

So my question....(after reading the regs and being totally confused since ive never looked into archery tags)

What tag or tags should we/ can we apply for for archery antlerless tag. A31 and A32? am i missing anything else?

Also if we did draw one can we also hunt antlered bucks with that tag? I think its actually and either sex tag so i think yes?

Thanks for the help.

If it's either sex bucks are good for archery.....just check years past for draw odds so you don't waist a point if you don't need to.

GSPman said:
Also if we did draw one can we also hunt antlered bucks with that tag? I think its actually an either sex tag so i think yes?
Yup. Archery tags are good for either sex, which includes any legal buck (no spikes).

Bonejour said:
GSPman said:
Also if we did draw one can we also hunt antlered bucks with that tag? I think its actually an either sex tag so i think yes?
Yup. Archery tags are good for either sex, which includes any legal buck (no spikes).
spikes are legal as long as they're smaller then 3 inches, using an either sex tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Since it's his first year hunting with his bow and he will be 17 I'm leaving all the planning and applications up to him with as little guidance as I can get away with.

GSPman said:
Thanks guys. Since it's his first year hunting with his bow and he will be 17 I'm leaving all the planning and applications up to him with as little guidance as I can get away with.

I'd choose which ever is closer to home. More opportunities in A-31 for sure, really long season bigger zone. A-32 is really a tough hunt and is mostly extremely thick. I hunted it twice, got a doe the first time, missed a buck the second tag and passed on a few does too, but that was with a lot of hiking and time in the field... If he decides on a-32 shoot me a pm I'll give him a couple spots to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu