Archery Tips Article

Midwest_Hunter

Mar 6, 2013
4 Archery Tips For Pre-Season Bowhunting Practice

By: Mark Kayser

Summer means sunburn, beaches and more home chores that would even boggle Bob Villa’s mind. It also means archery practice. Bowhunters are busy smacking targets and tuning bows for upcoming seasons. And I’m in the same boat.

I'll be shooting Carbon Express arrows tipped with G5 Montec broadheads from a Mathews Creed. What's your setup for this year? Share your comments below. That's enough about gear for now; let's talk practice.

I’m practicing in a way that will be more beneficial in the field than at the range because, first and foremost, I’m a hunter. If you want to get the more out of your practice hours and hone your hunting accuracy, try a few of the following tips. They’ve worked for me, and I’m betting this advice will help you be a better bowhunter when season opens.

1. Record yourself on video. I’m not suggesting a YouTube debut. Instead, if you have any shooting issues, a good way to identify them and address issues is to film yourself shooting. Next, evaluate your form with a friend and then review proper shooting technique to fix any problems.

2. Shoot like it’s a reality TV show. Indoor and outdoor ranges have their purpose, but it’s time to ditch perfection and embrace reality. By shooting outdoors in wind, drizzle and at varying angles and positions, you’ll be ready for whatever nature dishes out. Fling broadheads as well. Hunting is an imperfect sport, so shoot in imperfect conditions and you’ll be ready for that surprise shot this fall.

3. Use 3-D animal targets. By using 3-D targets such as the popular GlenDel Buck,you train your eye to look for small spots and body locations rather than a bright, round target. Shoot your target from varying angles as well to mimic angling away and downward, or upward shots.

4. Shoot fast and shoot slow. When a buck or bull appears in a close shooting lane, you’ll likely have to draw, aim and release in a matter of seconds. Practice for that surprise shot. It also helps to shoot with a longer aiming period. You might be offered a long shot, which should never be a snap shot. In those scenarios, you’ll need to range the distance, draw, settle and squeeze for a smooth release.

Western pronghorn seasons are less than a month away. Whitetail seasons follow up quickly. Now's the time to ditch the perfection of the range and practice in the real world

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu