Arizona border hunt

KoozeDeer

Hello all, I drew the 36a/b whitetail tag and have never hunted that unit. I hear the border issues can be a pain. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Hello all, I drew the 36a/b whitetail tag and have never hunted that unit. I hear the border issues can be a pain. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I have hunted Mearn's quail down there for the last three years in a row, and I will be hunting Coue's deer there this year as well in 35A. On my quail hunts I always stay in a hotel but for deer we are planning to camp. I have not run into any immigrants or smugglers in my time there, but the evidence of their passage is everywhere. I talked with a crew of guys repairing a section of fence two years ago, they said a drug truck had plowed through it a few days prior. Border patrol presence is heavy down there, about like what I see here in San Diego when I hunt south of the 8 freeway.

Check out coueswhitetail.com for info from people with more experience than me. I've read a few stories that'll raise your eyebrows but mostly people's experiences there seem to mirror mine here: the illegals generally just want to keep their heads down, keep moving and avoid confrontation. I have read stories of drug mules that are carrying rifles and have bales of marijuana strapped to their backs. I would imagine it's in their best interest to avoid contact as well... They want to get paid. But they do have rifles.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. But you won't know until you go! Good luck down there. Post it up when you get back.

Back