Arizona Deer

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
Hello,

I'm just reaching out on getting some advice on getting started with either rifle or archery hunting for coues. I've only hunted javelina and prarie dog out there. Where should I start? What are some good zones/areas to look into? Are most tags OTC? and anything else I should know about getting into the area.

Thank you!!

I don't know squat about Coues deer hunting, but while turkey hunting on the San Carlos Indian Reservation, the locals said they had really good coues deer....Might be costly, but tags are available....I'd also call Arizona Game & Fish....They'll have all the particulars on zones, dates, and availability of tags....Good luck.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Coues deer, Makes my heart skip a beat. Nothing easy about it but they are addicting. I would recommend starting with an archery tag so you have plenty of time to explore. Pick an area you want to hunt and just get to know your unit of choice. A single rifle tag is not enough time to really be able to explore your destination

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Coues deer and Coues tags are plentiful. Pick a zone and just go. I hunt one of the border zones. You can get archery tags OTC, but I think all the rifle tags get taken in the draw and with leftover applications. I schedule myself 3-4 days to hunt with a rifle tag and typically get opportunities every day I hunt.

mid january ( rut is WFO ) otc archery Coues hunt has become one of my favorite annual hunts . most days multiple Couse or Mulie stalk opportunities are to be had along with Elk and Antelope sightings now and then . dont forget to have a javelina tag with You also . close enough that a 7 - 10 day hunting camp out trip doesnt cost a bunch . we hunt unit 21 and seldom see other hunters other than at campsites . thats another thing , gigantic hunt area with excellent access and plenty of places to set up a good camp

I would check out Eastman's Hunting / Bow-hunting Journal they have an Members Research Section that gives terrain, public to private land, etc... Then do research on the Arizona DFW website and see where the harvest numbers are coming from. Additionally, there is quite a bit of Indian lands, so you could see if they offer this hunt and how much.

Remember that even though you get recommendations, you need to do the research (harvest, terrain, etc..) for the areas. There are quite a bit of free sights to do the research at, but remember the masses who pay for their free research are usually put into specific areas that have a low draw rate, due to a high success rate. Find the balance and you should be on your way, not just with Coues deer, but with any other game you wish to hunt.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu