Avet Reels

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
Anybody have an opinion on them? I'm looking at getting an all around setup that I use for Yellowtail, Tuna, and Rock Fish. I'm looking at the Avet MXL 2 speed with magic cast. I'm pretty set on the Avets. I like that they are made in SoCal.

Thoughts??

The MXL's are nice. I have an SX and love it! I mainly just fish off the piers for sharks and rays. Plus the occasional rockfish. You won't be disappointed if you purchase one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the MXL 6/4 last year no m/c on mine. awesome reels.

Great reels for local fishing and for smaller multi day trips

I learned this year that they do not hold up on the bigger grade fish that were at Guadalupe this fall...

I would suggest the JX 6/3 pretty damn versatile. my go to for local fishing

I have an MXL 6/4 that I bought off a guy on C/L and really like it! Mine doesn't have the MC but it still casts and performs really well. It was my favorite reel for fishing a 25/30# topshot until I bought a 2-speed Penn Fathom (FTH25NLD2) towards the end of the summer. This reel is smooth as butter and is now the first one I grab!!!

I own four avets. I got one in each size. They all run very smooth, and the 2 speed helps. My only complaint is not getting the magic cast on my SX. It was a major upgrade from my Penn 500.

I have a dozen AVET reels. I really like them and have taken BIG tuna and marlin with them in Mexico as well as small rockfish locally.

I suggest you WAIT until the Fred Hall Boat show in Long Beach to buy one. You can REALLY get a good deal there.....if you can wait until March.

Chinny, I had to buy it at Bass Pro because I had $350 in BP gift cards. I bought the MXL 6/4 two speed with MC yesterday. My only question is when in free spool, I spin the spool with my thumb and it doesn't spin for very long. The spool tension knob is turned pretty loose too and MC is set at 1. Is this normal?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu