Awesome Hunting Weekend

wiley

Feb 11, 2014
sat morning i headed out to the IV to try for some euro dove, (thanks for the tip Lungpopper), drove around just about every field out there didnt see a ton of birds but managed a dozen in about 3 hours and it was a good stress reliever, took them home wrapped the breasts with bacon and put them on the grill.....not great but not bad either.. ::)

IMAG1134sm.jpg

later sat night i get a call from a coworker who wants to try for turkey in the morning, kind of a last minute deal but decided to meet him and follow him to our spot.....
He bagged a Tom at our first stop, now its about 10:00 and we spot a few following this hen around, i circle around and the big tom spots me and he's out of there but the rest are still following the hen my way, I pick out the best one and crack,I head over to get him and this turkey kicked my a$$....shot him right in the head with a #6 3inch magnum, he flopped like he was almost done, as i was heading toward him he starts to fly off and i catch him in midair and the a$$whooping started, feathers everywhere, freaking thing tore me up....thats what i get for using a modified choke.... ???

What an Experience though for a 1st gobbler....... ;D

IMAG1136sm.jpg

Awesome story Wiley! Thanks for sharing.

Tip:

When you cook your dove, make sure they come off no more cooked than medium rare. They will be delicious!

NBK said:
Awesome story Wiley! Thanks for sharing.

Tip:

When you cook your dove, make sure they come off no more cooked than medium rare. They will be delicious!

thanks for the tip, yea i over cooked it....

Congrats wiley. Sounds like the wrestling match between you and the Turkey would have made a good show.

Cook the bacon wrapped breast in a wire basket (so you can turn them all at same time) when the fat stops dripping they're done.

Lungpopper said:
Congrats wiley. Sounds like the wrestling match between you and the Turkey would have made a good show.

Cook the bacon wrapped breast in a wire basket (so you can turn them all at same time) when the fat stops dripping they're done.

yea, i bet it was something to see....lol ;D

thanks will keep that in mind next time i try them

that's how you make the most of your weekend. my first turkey was flopping on the ground when I grabbed him and he kicked a dime sized hole in my hand. I had no idea they were that strong.

Yea, I wasn't about to lose this bird though,
I would like to know how many others been in a scrap with a turkey and wont admit it...these birds are definatly tough

My dad's first bird ripped my glove apart and a few of mine have slapped the he'll out of my legs. Left me brused up pretty bad.

That a Great weekend of bird hunting! What a kick! To be honest I thought hunting in good spots would be difficult in Southern California but with the help of some friends here on the board This place offers tremendous hunting in a non traditional way. I am used to being in the woods to where its an hr minimum to the closet town and not worrying about property lines and the BS that we have to go through down here in the Southland it still provides a great area to hunt and be surrounded by 10 million people Its pretty wild Once you get to know the area and get the right maps You can end up is some pretty wild and remote areas that provide a wild array of animals you can eat. From game birds to Pig Deer Rabbit... plus FANTASTIC predator hunting that I hope to get into this summer Its just amazing to me

Congrats there Wiley You can retire now as a Wild Turkey Hunter Awesome job You really get after it out there!

It sure is addicting

surfcity said:
That a Great weekend of bird hunting! What a kick! To be honest I thought hunting in good spots would be difficult in Southern California but with the help of some friends here on the board This place offers tremendous hunting in a non traditional way. I am used to being in the woods to where its an hr minimum to the closet town and not worrying about property lines and the BS that we have to go through down here in the Southland it still provides a great area to hunt and be surrounded by 10 million people Its pretty wild Once you get to know the area and get the right maps You can end up is some pretty wild and remote areas that provide a wild array of animals you can eat. From game birds to Pig Deer Rabbit... plus FANTASTIC predator hunting that I hope to get into this summer Its just amazing to me

Congrats there Wiley You can retire now as a Wild Turkey Hunter Awesome job You really get after it out there!

It sure is addicting

Thanks John, Lookin forward to getting back out there with ya

Sound like the time I took my cousin pheasant hunting. He did not know how to ring their necks and got his but kicked when he picked one up that was wounded. Great story!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu