AZ Big Game Draw

kylemg0009

Jan 20, 2015
Costa Mesa, CA
Anyone here put in for AZ's big game draw? Im about to wrap up mine on some units for bull elk archery that some friends live on and hunt year round so should have good odds.

how many bonus points do you have?

yeah i put in every year :) im not doing that damn late elk archery hunt again anytime soon so it will be a while.

It's my first time applying so no bonus points. Just taking the direction of some experienced guys over there.. chose 3 hunts, first two archery in september and the last one rifle after thanksgiving :)

My first year for arizona as well..... Im looking more into the long draw for antelope and elk in arizona (trophy units) Ill be applying very liberally for deer units that have 1-3 year draw type odds. I feel that Ill have opportunities in Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico to hunt elk years before I can draw a trophy unit elk hunt in AZ.

Im also applying in Utah, Nevada, Idaho this year.

Jdrivsd619 said:
My first year for arizona as well..... Im looking more into the long draw for antelope and elk in arizona (trophy units) Ill be applying very liberally for deer units that have 1-3 year draw type odds. I feel that Ill have opportunities in Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico to hunt elk years before I can draw a trophy unit elk hunt in AZ.

Im also applying in Utah, Nevada, Idaho this year.
That's the spirit! You clearly have drunk the Koolaid! NBK will be stoked for sure to see your post.
Personally, I'll go for OTC in AZ in January for archery muley and javelina. I'm taking the whole month of January, 2017 off, and plan to spend it killing wildlife in AZ, and possibly TX, if I can arrange it. They have too much of it, and I feel obligated to help reduce their wildlife burden.

Arizona has some of the biggest elk and antelope in the country..... its our neighbor to :) its a no brainer to apply plus you can get 2 applications off one license if you time it right.. Im going to try my hand at the rutting coues deer.... I'm a mule deer addict but listening to the Jay scott outdoors podcast has got me really interested in those little dessert whitetail besides my friend and his dad pull at least one tag in a year and they have their spots locked down and ask me to go with them every year so hopefully ill have a tag in my hand next jan 1 for the rut

Never done OTC in az not sure where to start with that task

I've hunted or applied for Az tags and points since the early nineties. It in my opinion is the premier state in the southwest for big game. That being said you have to look at draw odds and success percentages. Out of state antelope applications for the best units are pretty much unobtainable (as are some of the best deer units). Premier elk and deer tags can be a bit better but still take many years if at all to draw. You should expect to apply for at least ten to fifteen years to gain enough points to get one. I have drawn elk tags in Az with no points and killed elk but you have to look at the easy draws and be willing to work very hard to get one which I have done every time I tried except last year when with eleven points I was unable to pull a tag on a premium hunt. Best bet is to become a resident (which I will do some day) and then the game changes drastically.

Yeah, what he said.... move to Az for better odds... and quality of life. That's what I did... Points for me this year, gonna cash in my Wyoming elk points this year. Ed F

Jdrivsd619 said:
Arizona has some of the biggest elk and antelope in the country..... its our neighbor to :) its a no brainer to apply plus you can get 2 applications off one license if you time it right.. Im going to try my hand at the rutting coues deer.... I'm a mule deer addict but listening to the Jay scott outdoors podcast has got me really interested in those little dessert whitetail besides my friend and his dad pull at least one tag in a year and they have their spots locked down and ask me to go with them every year so hopefully ill have a tag in my hand next jan 1 for the rut

Never done OTC in az not sure where to start with that task

I love listening to the Jay Scott podcast. Talk about a guy who knows his stuff about hunting all game in AZ!

Since moving here to Socal last year, I've very much been enjoying hunting the AZ OTC archery deer tags for January. Been out twice now. I shot my first AZ Javelina last month out there and I just love it! I'll probably never put on for the draws though. I have Zero points (well one deer point, but....) and my odds are crap at best. I'll just enjoy the OTC stuff I can do there. Not to mention hunt for sheds on my free weekends. I do put in for NM elk the last few years and I always go home to WA State to hunt Rosie's and Blacktails in Western WA with my brother. All over the counter archery tags. Man, I feel blessed with so many opportunities. I know it's tough for a lot of people just to get out locally.

I'm in also. Waiting for the draw this week, hopefully. Took the kids to AZ 3 years ago and took their hunters Ed course for an extra point. That year my oldest kid drew a cow elk tag.

Will be interesting to see the results of the changes to the draw thus year....

Fingers crossed for this years draw!

Benjammin said:
Check out Colorado !!!! Otc tags & very easy look up Dolores co. Elk are there no problem

Those are my stomping grounds too. Just now learning the unit etc. heading back again in Aug

Arizona is definitely a great place to hunt, some of the popular units for deer are close to impossible to draw for a non resident. Fortunately there are plenty of units that you can hunt OTC archery or draw every couple of years with rifle.We will be out there OTC archery this season, but did put in for points in the draw. Good luck to all!

I was listening to a Randy Newberg podcast and they mentioned that they changed the way the tags are allocated for non-res hunters this year. They said that 10% only go to the non-res applicants, but this year they take that 10% and half goes to max point holders and the other half goes on the random draw. They thought it would be a game changer for us who want to apply with little to no bonus points... Good luck to you guys!!
I did buy a few of there big horn sheep super raffle tickets, so when I win that tag I'll be sure and post a few picks:)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu