Back yard bucks

dhntr48

Oct 7, 2015
I heard banging antlers in the back yard , went to look . I saw two bucks dukeing it out , they were both forkie,s , with a 3X3 near by in the thick brush . I went and got the phone and camera . When I got back the big 3 X3 was moving into the canyon and away . After the bruser left I counted 4 bucks . One was a spike , I watched him fight with the two by two bucks and win . One 2 X2 gave up after getting poked in the eye . The spike buck , like a short , short armed boxer , he could get in tight , and brawl . hiting the larger bucks in the face , eyes ,nose, checks , The larger forked buck never did a round with the spike . That spike was a nasty fighter .

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    453.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    428.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    507.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    520.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    473 KB · Views: 70
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    475.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    542.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    507.3 KB · Views: 76
My back yard backs up against D11 just outside of LA City . Just under Mount Lukens .

Ah ok, right on. For some reason I forgot this forum is all of Socal and not just D16 haha.

I'm still unclear if it's ok to archery hunt the top half of Haines over there. I see them all the time when we MTB the jump trail over there, I know the bottom portion is city prop and a no go.

I think they were seeing who would get the first game of tether ball

Last edited:
Reactions: dhntr48
At one time it was , I hunted there a lot . The road was open to the top of MT Lukens as well . In 1978 I wrote the fish and game commission and asked about the archery hunting opportunity in D11 , They sent a letter and a large manila envelope full of information . In the letter it contained locations , and stated that all of the front country, that was closed to fire arms,, was in fact open to archery deer hunting . The letter also said they were working on a LA County FIRE ARMS CLOSURE MAP ,and when it would go on sale .The last known map went on sale in 80's , as far as I know , i ordered it from the LA county fish and game Commission back then . I don't have it any more . So now with California Stating that a bow and arrow is a fire arm ,, the front country is all closed . From the old map driving up Oro Vista into the forest , south west of the Big Tujunga River was closed to fire arms all the way to Clear Creek road then up to the Angeles forest road leading up to Red Box Canyon road . Its a gray area for sure . Last year on the archery opener , I was driving up Highway 2 into the forest and at the Arroyo Seco trail head , Directly behind the golf club at 4.30 am . There was 20 cars with at least 30 people heading down the trail with archery gear , lots of kids in camo in the group as well . Thats a great spot to go hunting , If you cant Ban an activity , you make it confusing , with steep fines for not knowing the rules . I have sat in two police cars at 5 AM till they let me go,I have been detained , at the very least, about 7 times . 3 years ago archery opener at 4 Am a Sherif pulled in behind me at a turn out at short cut canyon, I got the full roust , got to sit in a police car , two Sherif cars , Highway patrol , Game warden came , They let me go at 7.30 am . It was a joke . Now ten years ago I decided I would try a general deer season with a rifle , well with the trouble I got with the bow , imagine the issues with a gun you would run into , to my supprise I never got hasseled during the general season or even asked for a hunting license .

At one time it was , I hunted there a lot . The road was open to the top of MT Lukens as well . In 1978 I wrote the fish and game commission and asked about the archery hunting opportunity in D11 , They sent a letter and a large manila envelope full of information . In the letter it contained locations , and stated that all of the front country, that was closed to fire arms,, was in fact open to archery deer hunting . The letter also said they were working on a LA County FIRE ARMS CLOSURE MAP ,and when it would go on sale .The last known map went on sale in 80's , as far as I know , i ordered it from the LA county fish and game Commission back then . I don't have it any more . So now with California Stating that a bow and arrow is a fire arm ,, the front country is all closed . From the old map driving up Oro Vista into the forest , south west of the Big Tujunga River was closed to fire arms all the way to Clear Creek road then up to the Angeles forest road leading up to Red Box Canyon road . Its a gray area for sure . Last year on the archery opener , I was driving up Highway 2 into the forest and at the Arroyo Seco trail head , Directly behind the golf club at 4.30 am . There was 20 cars with at least 30 people heading down the trail with archery gear , lots of kids in camo in the group as well . Thats a great spot to go hunting , If you cant Ban an activity , you make it confusing , with steep fines for not knowing the rules . I have sat in two police cars at 5 AM till they let me go,I have been detained , at the very least, about 7 times . 3 years ago archery opener at 4 Am a Sherif pulled in behind me at a turn out at short cut canyon, I got the full roust , got to sit in a police car , two Sherif cars , Highway patrol , Game warden came , They let me go at 7.30 am . It was a joke . Now ten years ago I decided I would try a general deer season with a rifle , well with the trouble I got with the bow , imagine the issues with a gun you would run into , to my supprise I never got hasseled during the general season or even asked for a hunting license .
The most recent map I saw was that terrible one from the early 90's. The detail on it was so bad if the lines did not directly follow a road you really had a hard time knowing what was OK and what wasn't. And even some no shoots followed say Lake Hughes Road... which was unclear. I had no idea how far to either side of the road would of been a not shoot zone. 10 feet? 0 Feet? 1000 feet? Last I looked for it online it seemed nobody was even hosting it anymore. That being said almost all of LA co seems to fall under "use your best judgement" now. Target shooting is pretty much a no no but hunting there are a ton of grey areas and you just have to go by what you think will be acceptable to who ever comes out.

I know I've shotgun hunted in what would of been considered a no shoot area by that old map on the desert side and police, sheriffs, wardens have all told me good to go. I think they would of been pissed if I had a rifle but I wouldn't out there anyways. I've seen guys rifle hunt South of Big T this season with rifle which would of been in a no shoot zone and nobody seems to care... which I get because nobody could shoot over Lukens if they tried. People have said they've seen guys archery hunt off of Sunset and Middle Sam Merill etc... my friend was told he was OK to shotgun bandtails up Gaberlino (which I told not to do, legal or not a hundred tree huggers would call the police once they got reception)

Anybody know how to contact a warden of a specific area. I can't go by something that isn't publicly obtainable anymore but I'm also not stupid and know which areas will piss people off and which won't.

forest ranger office
12371 N. Little Tujunga Canyon Road
San Fernando, CA 91342
(818) 899-1900, ext. 221

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu