Backcountry hunting

Tbob

Dec 11, 2014
Hey Socal guys,
So I've been here in SD for almost a year now and have been scouting around my hunting area D-16. I'm very much enjoying myself, but I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas for OTC archery deer areas where I could get up high and into some trees for some backcountry hunting. I'm an avid and experienced backpacker and really miss the trees that I'm used to at home (Western WA). I'm happy to drive 3-4 hours to hit a trailhead. I have zero pref points so OTC (no draw) is all I think I can do.. No honey holes of course.. Just general ideas of Where to ditch the concrete jungles and desert. Thanks so much !

Look into the Archery only tag in Los Angeles

there are some really big bucks taken out of there by some of the same guys every year...

With an AO tag you can hunt most of the zones in the state and find an area you really like just a matter of how far you will go and the time you have to spend to scout and hunt..

I'm planning on a backpack hunt for the archery season opener. D13 or D11. Been scouting both areas religiously this past few weeks. Nice areas, especially D13 close to Mt Pinos. Beautiful area. You could look into that. Plus the the most eastern portion of Angeles close to mt baldy is beautiful. Check it out

Scouting is the key to successful hunts in most cases.....Sounds like you're on the right track (no pun intended)..... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu