Backpacking gear

G

Goyaałé

Had a long discussion with a friend about lightweight gear vs Military gear. He is a lightweight gear kind of guy. Im a what's the most bang for my buck military gear kind of guy. (Jajjaja! I said Bang) in my eyes the value outweighs the weight. My opinion. Anyway. So he's been trying to get me to upgrade to some lightweight gear.
I completely understand the logic behind the whole lightweight gear thing. I personally feel unless you are hiking in for a 5 day hunt where you are carrying all your gear with you at all times chasing game for miles on end or thru hiking PCT. It's unnecessary. Again my opinion. Not trying to knock anyone.
The main reason I buy military gear is because I am hard on all my gear. I think if I had expensive lightweight gear. I wouldn't want to take it out in fear of ruining it. Jajajjaja!!.
My one question. Is there a middle of the road when it comes to gear?
Packs, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, tents, ect. I hope everyone is havinga great day!!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
There is definitely a middle of the road. In general, the lighter the gear the more it costs. But there is a spectrum of costs and weights and your definition of what is an acceptable cost and weight for you will define your “middle” of the road.

You’ll have to be more specific if you want recommendations for those categories that you listed.

There is definitely a middle of the road. In general, the lighter the gear the more it costs. But there is a spectrum of costs and weights and your definition of what is an acceptable cost and weight for you will define your “middle” of the road.

You’ll have to be more specific if you want recommendations for those categories that you listed.
I hear you. I think I'll take the approach of "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it". I am not thru hiking the PCT so for me it isn't worth it. All though I want to hike the PCT for 3 days and 3 nights see how far I can make it.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu