Backpacking in COLD country

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Just curious what you guys use for sleeping bags when backpacking. I have used 2, the most recent a Big Agnes 15degree, I also added a wool linger and used an insulated inflatable pad. Froze my but off in Utah this year so I returned the bag to REI. Trying to stay comfortable in the low temps 10-20 degrees. What say you guys? In addition I wear several layers of thick Moreno wool.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I use a enlightened equipment 10deg quilt for pretty much all weather now since I can just hang and arm out etc if it’s warmer. The trick to cold is a good pad I use a thermolite X Therm and it is great. They really reflect the heat.

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm Ultralight Backpacking Air Mattress, Large - 25 x 77 Inches

10 degrees out with a 15 degree bag is not going to cut it. Try to keep your bag rating 10 degrees below the lowest temps that you would expect to have during your trip.
Anything under 20 degrees I would be looking for the highest R rating I could find in a pad.

I used a 20 degree EE quilt this year and last year with temps to 28 degrees with a big Agnes Qcore pad.
I wore a 125 Moreno long sleeve and just my underwear. Never felt like I need more insulation.

LP has it right a good base layer is clutch in retaining heat in your bag. I wear a merino shirt and merino pants at night. Good gear works off reflecting and containing your heat.

Last edited:
Nothing worse than waking up at 3am from shivering! Then ya gotta throw on extra clothing that's already cold too, takes forever for it to warm up.

Some good advice from LP and Truduct here. The rating on your sleeping bag is a survival rating, not a comfort rating. I believe many brands now publish a comfort rating in their literature as well. But if you have a 20 degree bag you should not expect to be comfortable when it’s 20 degrees out without extra clothing. Good baselayers will definitely help and I also frequently use a puffy jacket when I know the temp will be around my bag rating. I have also boiled water and put a hot water bottle in the foot of my bag. That’s very effective if you have fuel to spare. Make sure it’s sealed....

My hunting and climbing adventures are mostly in California and the southwest states and the only bag I use is a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite. I ordered it with a few ounces of overfill down so it’s slightly warmer than the original 20 degree rating. 10 years old and been dragged all over the Sierra and desert without a tear or mark to show for it. I can’t say enough good things about WM products.

Nothing worse than waking up at 3am from shivering! Then ya gotta throw on extra clothing that's already cold too, takes forever for it to warm up.

I have always kept my clothes for the next day in my bag with me. Keeps them warm for when you wake up and you could throw them on at night if needed.

I dont know crap about backpacking, but would the chemical activated hand warmers help? They seem lightweight enough to throw in your pack.

Or maybe just save them for an emergency situation....

Just curious what you guys use for sleeping bags when backpacking. I have used 2, the most recent a Big Agnes 15degree, I also added a wool linger and used an insulated inflatable pad. Froze my but off in Utah this year so I returned the bag to REI. Trying to stay comfortable in the low temps 10-20 degrees. What say you guys? In addition I wear several layers of thick Moreno wool.
Chris were you using a tent or out in the open..
Was that with or without wind chill.
10 deg is mighty cold.. then with wind chill..
That takes cajones..

Reactions: Jred
Chris were you using a tent or out in the open..
Was that with or without wind chill.
10 deg is mighty cold.. then with wind chill..
That takes cajones..
10-15 degrees in a tent was the coldest night. We had a hard freeze that night. I get tired of freezing my ass all night

You can listen to my friend and I’s podcast on YouTube, we go over camping in cold weather on Episode #2

Our YouTube channel has the video and audio versions : Ridge2Ridge outdoors

We also publish on podbean and iTunes.

Check it out.

Reactions: d16ridgehiker
Get a space blanket sleeping bag and put over or in your bag it will keep you a lot warmer

To me you would need to sets of gear. If you plan on doing this often.
3 season gear for the warm months.
4 season gear for winter conditions.
Some sleeping bag for extreme cold.
With an extra pad with good insulated. Laying on a cold any thing will suck the heat from you..

I personally like the military style setup. A little heavy. But rated down to -40..
I sure there is a lot of ex military
That can vouch for it.

Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu