Backpacking trip?

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
Anyone planning on hunting A31 this year that want to plan a backpacking trip for a weekend? I've been wanting to do this for a while now but have nobody to go with and I'm not about to do a trip like that by myself. I generally hunt the wrightwood area of D11 and know of some spots so PM me if your interested.

Sent from my iPhone

It's a draw only archery tag. But if you get a d11 tag it would work. Season dates overlap

Sent from my iPhone

I don't know what the area's like, but short of if being overrun with mountain lions or pot growers, I'd say don't be afraid to get out there, even if you have to go alone. Be safety-conscious, of course, but I've done solo trips before, and I'll do it again. It gets creepy at times, especially in areas where you've seen bears, or mountain lion tracks, but the payoff can be great. Here's one that's nothing to brag about, but at 11:00 on opening morning my hunt was over, and the real work was about to begin!

4x3CAMuleDeer800x600.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I greatly prefer hunting with a buddy, but if a buddy isn't available, go for it!

im hoping to can find time to scout and get out and make new friends but i gotta warn you im always "hunting coyote" so i always carry a 45 just in case

El Matavenados said:
I don't know what the area's like, but short of if being overrun with mountain lions or pot growers, I'd say don't be afraid to get out there, even if you have to go alone. Be safety-conscious, of course, but I've done solo trips before, and I'll do it again. It gets creepy at times, especially in areas where you've seen bears, or mountain lion tracks, but the payoff can be great. Here's one that's nothing to brag about, but at 11:00 on opening morning my hunt was over, and the real work was about to begin!

4x3CAMuleDeer800x600.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I greatly prefer hunting with a buddy, but if a buddy isn't available, go for it!

That's a nice buck man! Did you have to pack in pretty far? Is D11 really big enough to get about a day and a half from any main or dirt road? It seems like anywhere I hunt up in that zone I hit a main trail like the PCT. I just want to get away from the main heavy hunted areas and be able to get a shot at a bigger deer. I know there are big heavy bucks up there in those mountains that live a long time. Last year I met a guy while I was hunting and he showed me a pic of the deer he shot up above mine gulch and it was a big 3x4 and he dressed out at 165lbs.
tude3equ.jpg
I'm thankful for being successful with this size deer every other year or so but I would like a chance at a bigger one. I may be wrong but the "easy access" areas seem to produce this size because they get killed too young. Any input on this guys would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone

Those are both nice evn the little one. My wife is getting me into deer hunting and she saw this over my shoulder and said poor bambie but I'm sure he will taste great. I would be really happy to get any legal deer this year.

For clarification, I should state that my buck pictured above was NOT from D11 (X12), I just wanted to encourage people not to be afraid to put on a pack and walk the distance, even if it means going alone. For that buck, I walked 7 miles. The terrain wasn't difficult at all, really, it was just further than even the horseback hunters were going! When walking in the day before, I passed a camp about 5.5 miles in- an outfitter had dropped of a grandfather, son, and grandson for a week of hunting. Only the father and son had tags, but Grandpa had hunted the area back in the '50s and '60s.

As I walked out, I stopped to admire the TOAD of a forkhorn (big body, big forks) that the father had shot that morning. He and his son had hiked up from the valley floor onto the top of the ridge (it would have been brutal!) before daylight. So they didn't go as deep, but they went way off the trail, and got up above the treeline. And they were successful. We chatted for a while, had a soda, and I continued on. When I got back to the trailhead, I was appalled at the number of guys driving Polaris' or trucks or walking along the roads looking for easy pickins. What a zoo. They were only a half day's hike from the bucks, but apparently, they weren't willing to go that far. Not that I'm special (I'm a lazy, fat lard), but I tried road hunting (or hunting near the roads) in that zone once- and I didn't see a legal buck in two solid weeks of scouting and hunting.

So yes, if you can find an area in a given zone that is not accessible by vehicle, is further in than most hunters want to walk, AND HOLDS DEER, well, you're gonna wish you had brought a pack horse in with you, but will be worth it!

And, nice buck you got! I didn't even see a legal buck in D16/A22 last season.

Backpacking trip?

Oh ok. I put in for X12 as my first choice this year, hopefully I draw the tag . If I don't draw I'm going to buy a D7 tag for my week trip. Either way I'll be happy with one of those. SoCal is very discouraging at times. Me and my hunting buddies always laugh every year because we won't see any deer all season long and we will say "that's it I'm not buying a D11 tag next year," and then the next day we hunt one of us will shoot a buck. Lol.. Keeps us coming back every year. 3 years ago I hunted hard all season and literally didn't even see a deer. Not even a doe!! And then the last 2 seasons I got a buck. Haha go figure. Best of luck on your drawing this year.

Sent from my iPhone

Contact me later on would like to try the north side more this year, just moved up the hill last yr. I have four game cams and just about to start the scouting madness this upcoming month. I usually hunt A31 gmr, hwy 39 south d11 areas.

Sent from my Torque

Their are big bucks up there just go high........There's a guy on here with lots of bucks taken from D11 kingWBM

Are you still looking to get out in D11 and scout for the A31 hunt? It would be great to work together and find some choice areas off the beaten path. I pulled an A31 tag and I am trying to go this weekend and a bunch more times soon. This is my first season deer hunting so I figure a ton of scouting is going to be necessary.

tmasco said:
Are you still looking to get out in D11 and scout for the A31 hunt? It would be great to work together and find some choice areas off the beaten path. I pulled an A31 tag and I am trying to go this weekend and a bunch more times soon. This is my first season deer hunting so I figure a ton of scouting is going to be necessary.
Sorry man I just saw your post. Yeah I want to go try a couple of areas that I know of up in wrightwood. Last year I shot a buck during the rifle season up in the bighorn sheep area and I really like it there. I want to check that spot for some new sign and possibly a couple other spots. I'll pm you when I head up there. Do you possibly know if cabin flats in vehicle accessible?

Sent from my iPhone

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu