Balboa Park archery range

SD Mike

Proud member of BH&A, RMEF and NWTF.
Feb 25, 2015
San Diego
So my first compound bow was delivered yesterday (woohoo!) and I immediately took it to my local pro shop to get it tuned. I'm off work around 2 today and I'm going to grab my dog and head to Balboa Park archery range. Has anyone spent any time there? What do you guys think? Anything I should know or bring before I head over? Feel free to fling a few arrows with me about 2:30 if you're in the area.

It's a cool range, on weekdays after work there'll only be a couple people if that. I think Tuesdays there's a club that shoots so I'd skip that day, but otherwise it's pretty quiet. You just pay $2 to the iron ranger (honor system) and go shoot. Sometimes I bring my own 3d target but most of the time I bring paper plates and stick em onto the hay bales with skewers. No broadheads or crossbows allowed.

Ruby is great has an area to shoot at fixed distances or you can walk the course. I prefer the course. Dont know how many targets are closed down on the backside right now. A few of them were shut down due to construction on the bridge. The only thing I could think extra to bring is an arrow puller in case they have new bales. Have fun!

Mountain_made said:
So my first compound bow was delivered yesterday (woohoo!) and I immediately took it to my local pro shop to get it tuned. I'm off work around 2 today and I'm going to grab my dog and head to Balboa Park archery range. Has anyone spent any time there? What do you guys think? Anything I should know or bring before I head over? Feel free to fling a few arrows with me about 2:30 if you're in the area.

Have you had training & instructions

Ghost said:
Mountain_made said:

Yes

Mountain_made said:
Ghost said:
Mountain_made said:

Yes
Mike, that's cool. It's an addiction. I have guests coming after work or I'd meet you there.

Mountain_made said:
Ghost said:
Mountain_made said:

Yes

good because it is important that you get your form and draw length set. just saying. I know the temptation is to go shoot, but it is best to get training on the shooting form before bad habits take place.

Both ranges are fun, I've never done the trail though. When I've gone it's always been pretty mellow and never had to wait to shoot.

The one that's behind the museums the targets are down the hill a little and only go to 45yds(?) the one at morley is all flat ground and the targets go much further out.

Awesome place. People are very friendly there and helpful to new comers. Plus you can do a nice walk around Balboa Park after a good day at the range.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I had a blast out there. Met a couple nice guys who were very helpful. Learned a whole lot and look forward to next time.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu