Banded Ducks

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
After we were done with our limits yesterday. A friend of mine took our blind and got his 1st band.....Hen pintail......Still remember getting my 1st duck band......Hen pintail (1975) at Wister as well.....Didn't really think much about it back then.....Since then, I've only shot 4 more banded ducks and I average close to 200 ducks per season (includes Canada).

Coming home from pigeon hunting today, I stopped at a little secret pond I know about. Just wanted to see how many widgeon had showed up.....When I do this, I always look at their legs.....No banded widgeon, but low and behold, there's a banded greenhead.....I tried my best to get pictures of the numbers by zooming in on his leg. But just couldn't get enough clear shots.

The pintail my friend got was banded last year near Fairview, Alberta, Canada. At least a year old when banded.

ps.....I've got a number of close friends who've never shot a banded duck......How about you?

Attachments

• IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    573.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    574.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 33
ilovesprig said:
ps.....I've got a number of close friends who've never shot a banded duck......How about you?
my last band on a duck was forever ago. I guess its just location? i have friends that shoot a dairy and they get two or three banded mallards a year. The ducks that go to that Dairy must be from a place that gets a lot of banding done.

I have a drawer full of bands from honkers shot in the north salt lake area and even more from Brant shot at SQ in mexico. If bands are your goal that hunt is the number one place in the world to get one. You can cherry pick the birds as they come in feet down :)

Congrats to your buddy. I've seen a few banded ducks at a local fishing pond lately but you can't hunt it I'll try to get some pictures later this week I fish the pond a few times a week and have seen 2 or 3 banded mallards.

thought only real duck hunters used chessies for dogs.

Mostly snow bands, a Ross collar and a snow collar. Our group is on pace for the most snows we have ever shot in a year and we have 3 bands this year
post-13-0-67061500-1418102044.jpg

I have 3 bands, and interestingly my first was a hen pintail too. last year I got a banded canadian and a hen redhead one week apart, all at Wister. My sons and their friends, who all hunt alot, have none. Just blind luck, I guess. On another note, Steve helped me and my sons on our first day at Wister, in the rain, and the mud, about 5 years ago. It started a serious addiction that I have no desire to fix...thanks, Steve...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu