Barrett lake opener

mazilla

Our group drew #2 pick Saturday...nobody got #1. This will be my first time hunting Barrett, I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. We got 19/23/26 OCT! ;D

Local City duck opener has always had a place in my heart!

I miss Joe Caruso and "Duck Bingo" at Otay Lakes. Man - hunting was good there!

Ahhhh Otay, my first duck hunt was at Otay when I was a teenager. I remember shooting my first widgeon at Sutherland and shooting my first gadwall at Barrett. Great times.

Matagi said:
Ahhhh Otay, my first duck hunt was at Otay when I was a teenager. I remember shooting my first widgeon at Sutherland and shooting my first gadwall at Barrett. Great times.

I'll be shooting Sutherland for the first time(for Turkey in November). I scored a spot in the draw this past Saturday at their turkey tune-up.

This Saturday is coming up quickly...so excited!

congrats mazilla! What area did you draw? only guided hunters there during the spring but PM me and I'll give you some pointers on hunting turkeys on that lake.

Matagi said:
congrats mazilla! What area did you draw? only guided hunters there during the spring but PM me and I'll give you some pointers on hunting turkeys on that lake.

Thanks! Both of these are firsts for me so it's a lot to take in right now with the hunts being fairly close...I'm scrambling for turkey gear right now. I drew Camp Hope as The Corral had filled up rather quick and the NWTF suggested CH. I'll be taking another first-time turkey hunter as my partner so It's the blind leading the blind that day, lol!

I'm not even sure which gun to take between my 18" Win1300(turkey edition) or my SX3 in 28"(waterfowl). Suggestions?

Don't guess, pattern it. Find out where it shoots. Don't cheap out on the shells either, If you only get one shot, make sure its you that misses and not the ammo.

Well, that was an amazing experience! I'm going back out on Wed(thanks to the draw) so we'll see how that goes...hopefully we didn't scare away the hundreds of ducks we couldn't get a shot at.

B991A2B1-0652-4C21-A9F9-E7E442EBAA81-194-0000002AC67E0758_zps0225db4c.jpg

C3530817-C264-49A5-9D28-AE8D39332BBF-194-0000002ABC96B8E9_zps044523d7.jpg

Well, the pickins are definitely getting slimmer...3 coot were collateral damage but I did manage to get a nice malard. Mostly ruddy left, plenty of them around. We took my friend in the pic, was his first duck hunt.

we're heading back out Saturday and I'm taking my pup since It's pretty much down to boat shooting unless you draw one of the three good blinds left so we figure what the heck, might as well get his first duck hunt in there too. Firsts all around, haha.

80DAB240-974E-4575-AC6B-68130A547E59-153-00000002B6060B78_zps6abea454.jpg

Yep...that is their cover for the ducks. ;D

Looked like fun none-the-less

Alrighty, last day at Barrett...still lots of big ducks back in blind 8, you'll need to work to call them in however. I couldn't get them to touch down once the booming started elsewhere even with the pristine conditions of blind 8.

Head count for day 3
myself: 1 wigeon 1 green teal 5 ruddy
partner: 1 hen mallard 6 ruddy

Oh yeah, I found out my Filipino neighbors love them some coot so I took the opportunity to down a few for them to trade for some lumpia(Filipino eggrolls). ;D

09cf5c23-5d2a-4af0-ae30-f5a1f8eba812_zpsc4615779.jpg

Nice job on the ducks. I would think your getting a MUCH better deal on your trade with the neighbors.

Back