Basspro's Redhead packs

What is everyone's take on external vs internal frame pack for cache hauling? Seems like the external frame would be easier to tie into when securing an extra load outside the pack. I've never owned a high capacity internal frame pack so I'm just asking.

I only have a internal frame. You are limited on how much you can carry with it. I can carry enough for a few days, but not a long week. Mine does a good job latching on the outside of the pack. I just ordered my External frame pack.

The new Traverse X just came out for 2015 but I can't find it anywhere. If I can track it down, I'll most definitely go with the new Traverse X but if not, then I am sure I will completely be happy with the Traverse EPS. As far as external and internal, I think I will go with the internal frame packs. I don't plan on doing more than 2 days and if I ever do and I feel like I need something bigger, I'll just pick up an external pack. But for now, I think I'm going to get the traverse, whether it be the new X model or the EPS. Thanks again.

Nicholas909 said:
I only have a internal frame. You are limited on how much you can carry with it. I can carry enough for a few days, but not a long week. Mine does a good job latching on the outside of the pack. I just ordered my External frame pack.

Toua70 said:
The new Traverse X just came out for 2015 but I can't find it anywhere. If I can track it down, I'll most definitely go with the new Traverse X but if not, then I am sure I will completely be happy with the Traverse EPS. As far as external and internal, I think I will go with the internal frame packs. I don't plan on doing more than 2 days and if I ever do and I feel like I need something bigger, I'll just pick up an external pack. But for now, I think I'm going to get the traverse, whether it be the new X model or the EPS. Thanks again.

Nicholas909 said:

It wont be out till July. That pack is a little bit smaller than mine. Also with The EPS you can adjust the torso height to fit you build better. I really like that feature.

I have an Alps Outdoors Falcon. I like it, for the price it is good. I was able to pack out my entire deer this year.

I wonder if I can find a dealer so I can see both in person when the new model does come out. I think one of the Turners is (according to their website) but I hate turners outdoors.

Nicholas909 said:
Toua70 said:

Nicholas909 said:

It wont be out till July. That pack is a little bit smaller than mine. Also with The EPS you can adjust the torso height to fit you build better. I really like that feature.

In the area where I guide moose and grizzly hunters, we're always on the river. I have a wonderful external frame that basically bounces around in the front storage compartment until it's time to haul. Then the big padded straps and adjustable everything really come in handy. Frontier Gear of Alaska, available at Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage. I got the big cargo bag with it, and would put that on the frame if I was taking a 10-day sheep hunt. It's a high-$ option when your need and your pocketbook are both big. My funding has shrunken since I bought it, so I'm glad I still have it!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu