Be sure to apply sunscreen before going out into the boonies, or this will happen to you....

doccherry

May 7, 2021
I have spent a lifetime out in the sticks, as a kid in the South, as a Marine, hunting and fishing everywhere, out fishing in my skiff in Hawaii for thousands of hours, but only wearing sunscreen for the past 10 years or so. Have had 6 MOHS surgeries so far but the dermatologist told me on my last visit that the surface basal cell cancers and pre-cancers on my face and the pre-squamous cancers on my scalp were so extensive that surgery would leave me looking like Frankenstein [which some would say would be an improvement]. I have been going thru a topical chemotherapy to [hopefully] get rid of most of the problem. It's a 3 week application process [6 weeks for my scalp, which looks like a pepperoni pizza] and then about 8 weeks of healing, using the same chemotherapeutics as for colon and pancreatic cancer. The attached photo shows the areas where the surface basal cancers and pre-cancers have reacted to the chemotherapy, and that's just one side of my face. Can you imagine if all these spots had to be removed surgically with a scalpel? Decapitation would be the only logical recourse, and from what I can determine from searching the Internet, decapitation can be quite disfiguring and leads to confusion and disorientation.

I am grateful that the treatment exists and I am not complaining. I earned it. Some of you have probably already been thru this or at least know people who have. But, not wanting to sound like a reformed smoker, please wear sunscreen and whatever protective clothing is necessary to keep from looking like me.

By the way, this crap feels just like you think it would, based upon the photo. As one venerable member of this forum has stated on more than one occasion, a few fingers "of the brown" on a regular basis has made the ordeal a bit more tolerable.

Good hunting and fishing to all. And wear sunscreen.

Attachments

• face precancer.jpg
    face precancer.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 45
Wow!...Bruce, I hope you recover quickly and in the woods by September... :(

ps...I have rarely ever worn sunscreen, but I had a couple spots removed...Since then, I wear sunscreen on legs...I also wear nothing but gloves, long sleeved fishing shirts, and neck gaiters now.

.hodges 6-22 4.JPG

Reactions: dhntr48
I have spent a lifetime out in the sticks, as a kid in the South, as a Marine, hunting and fishing everywhere, out fishing in my skiff in Hawaii for thousands of hours, but only wearing sunscreen for the past 10 years or so. Have had 6 MOHS surgeries so far but the dermatologist told me on my last visit that the surface basal cell cancers and pre-cancers on my face and the pre-squamous cancers on my scalp were so extensive that surgery would leave me looking like Frankenstein [which some would say would be an improvement]. I have been going thru a topical chemotherapy to [hopefully] get rid of most of the problem. It's a 3 week application process [6 weeks for my scalp, which looks like a pepperoni pizza] and then about 8 weeks of healing, using the same chemotherapeutics as for colon and pancreatic cancer. The attached photo shows the areas where the surface basal cancers and pre-cancers have reacted to the chemotherapy, and that's just one side of my face. Can you imagine if all these spots had to be removed surgically with a scalpel? Decapitation would be the only logical recourse, and from what I can determine from searching the Internet, decapitation can be quite disfiguring and leads to confusion and disorientation.

I am grateful that the treatment exists and I am not complaining. I earned it. Some of you have probably already been thru this or at least know people who have. But, not wanting to sound like a reformed smoker, please wear sunscreen and whatever protective clothing is necessary to keep from looking like me.

By the way, this crap feels just like you think it would, based upon the photo. As one venerable member of this forum has stated on more than one occasion, a few fingers "of the brown" on a regular basis has made the ordeal a bit more tolerable.

Good hunting and fishing to all. And wear sunscreen.
Speedy recovery to you.

I would add , that not jusy ANY sunscreen is effective , most if not all of the main brand sunscreens do not offer enough protection.

I am in the sun most of day most of the week. A few years ago I had to have MOHS surgery on my lip ( all is healed ) I now purchase my sunsreen from my dermotologist , it is expensive ( 50.00 ) but well worth the investment.

Take care and have fun.

Reactions: Smokey58
doc, I am to start the same thing for all my years of 'no protection'.
My doctor just froze another 15 spots on my arms and when healed I am to start the chemical peel on arms, forehead, scalp and chest. My question is on the scalp do you need to cut off all the hair, as my guy suggested, or dab it into the scalp area? I haven't had a GI haircut since basic and didn't want to go there if possible if there's a way.

You're smarter than I am. I'll probably go thru this chemo crap every year for the next few years. By then, the Elephant Man will have nothing on me!!
My doctor just froze another 15 spots on my arms and when healed I am to start the chemical peel on arms, forehead, scalp and chest. My question is on the scalp do you need to cut off all the hair, as my guy suggested, or dab it into the scalp area? I haven't had a GI haircut since basic and didn't want to go there if possible if there's a way.
I didn't cut any hair at all and I have a full head of hair on my scalp. Just use a lot of chemo cream, rub it in well, and then comb it over. I shower every AM and use shampoo, wait 15 minutes and then apply the cream. At about 7PM I reapply. Leaving your hair in place takes a lot more cream but it works just fine. Good luck.

Let me strongly suggest---with your doctor's approval---that you do one large area at a time or perhaps the scalp, forehead, and chest at one time and then your arms. If you do everything at once, you'll be in a world of hurt.

When and where did you go thru basic, and thanks for your service.

Just had multiple AKs frozen a few weeks ago and am going in for the "Blue Light" treatment soon. 22 years on deck in the Navy finally paying me back. I guess that's one benefit of having a B-I-L and F-I-L as dermatologists...

Hope all you guys get well soon, I don't use sun screen. I found Hydration cream w/ hyaluronic acid works better for me. I started getting brown spots on my face & arms. Tried different sun blocks but to no avail. Decided to try Hydration cream and that worked since I have been using it no more spots, no more sun burns. I use it on my face, neck, arms and legs. LOL maybe it is because I'm half native American, but keeping my skin moisturized has worked well.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu