Bear Kill Validation??????

NZHunter

Oct 27, 2012
Hey Team Shot this bear on Sunday, story to follow.
Need Some Help
I need to get my Tag Validated, I have left messages with My nearest DFG Office ) and I dint know where or what else to do?
I live in North Ridge California, Does anyone have a DFG Rangers Number I can Call.

The Laws here are crazy, just trying to do the right thing.

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#365
§367.5. Presentation of Bear Skull.

Any person who takes a bear shall present the skull (even if damaged) to a department office/officer within 10 days of taking the bear. The skull shall become property of the department. That portion of the skull not needed for scientific purposes shall be returned.

Repealer and new section filed 7-15-85; designated effective7-25-85.

this whole page is a good read it lays it out in semi simple wording for all mammals, skip over the boundaries and its not that long of a read.

Congrats on the bear kill, looking forward to the report

Great looking bear. Nice job NZHunter. Let's hear the story!!! ???

I read in the regs, (cant remember where) that you could have your tag validated by any state Officer, or something like that, I once had to have a Deer validated by a Fire Captain at a nearby Fire station. I drove up to the station found the Captain, He come out and checked it and signed it off.

motorhead said:
I read in the regs, (cant remember where) that you could have your tag validated by any state Officer, or something like that, I once had to have a Deer validated by a Fire Captain at a nearby Fire station. I drove up to the station found the Captain, He come out and checked it and signed it off.

You can have your deer tag validated by a post master also

Ah yes. Had a memorable experience once dealing with DFG while reporting..... ::)

Let's hear about that bear! Good looking bear!

Bear is different than a deer. Read up. You need to that the skull down to DFG. ASAP. Don't delay.

All sorted had a game warden stop by the house tonight, what an awesome guy had some great views on hunting and management! Some great stories about catching poachers

So have been hunting a zone most weekends since the archery opener, funny how the deer know when rifle season comes!
Any way Drove up north on Friday managed a quick hunt only seeing 4 does, up nice and early sat morning walked 10 miles glassing walking, glassing walking I really find it hard to keep still probably to much walking!
Seen another 6 does and a spike. Got back to the truck with a mild case of heat stroke, after a good feed and a siesta, back on the trail, walked a couple more miles and pretty much ran out of steam so started heading back, basically just heard a few twigs snapped then she popped out running at 30 yards quick of hand shot and the new .270 is broken in! Right place right time I guess
All I can say is they are heavier than they look!

I'm excited to try the meat, any recipe recommendations, I've heard mixed reviews.

Anyway Sunday morning I was driving out and what do you know there is a buck on the private property bordering public, I actually got out of my truck walked a hundred yards (had a coffee made) sat down drank my coffee watched the deer for about 45 minutes and luck would have it, it jumped over the fence and found a little "lead free" pill on the other side. Sometimes you do get an easy one.
Cheers

Attachments

• NZ.jpg
    NZ.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 128
Bears are certainly a pain in the a$$ to get signed off. Back in 2007, you could have them signed off by any number of state or federal employees, much like a deer. My first bear, taken in 2007, I had signed off by the Yosemite Park Ranger right at the gate to the park. Went to the toll booth, told the toll lady I shot a bear and after a long chat explaining that I DIDN'T shoot it in the park, the ranger came out and signed off the tag. But that all changed in 2008.

2008 the regs changed to read that only a DFG official could sign off tags. Warden, wild life tech, etc. It's a major pain. I tried calling a warden to sign off my 2008 bear and he couldn't make it so he told me to drive to the nearest DFG office and have someone there sign it off. Easy enough. Except I was 3 hours from an office. So, I made the trek, had it signed off, and all was good in the universe once again.

After 2008, I never bought another bear tag. There's too much headache involved and I was running out of wall space. I understand the reasoning, but it's still difficult to get in touch with anyone that's qualified in the field. Hopefully you got yours all sorted out easy!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu