best $200 binos?

MattS

Oct 25, 2011
I do not love my binos and I am going to buy another pair. What do you guys recomend as the best in the $200 range? thanks

I can't recommend anything in the $200.00 range that you would be happy with.
Fine Firearms has some Leupold Northforks for $399.00. I put mine against a pair of binos that were 3 times as much last weekend and they held there own. You will be very happy with them.

Everyone on this forum has heard me say it before... cheap is cheap and good is good, save some money and spend the most you can afford. If you buy good glass it will last a life time. Lp's recommendation is right on

Ignore the rich hunters! ;D

Leupold Cascades, Nikon Monarch, Vortex Viper, even Alpen makes some good glass close to that price range. The cost to go from this class to the next is about 4-5 times in $,$$$.$$

It is not about being rich...

There was a time in my life when I had a pair of bino's that were worth more than my car...it is all about priorities! All my buddies would rib me over it. A little Volkswagen Dasher diesel versus a set of Swarovski 8x30 SLC's. All I wanted to do was hunt!

Now that I am thinking of it - that is some pretty funny $h!7....

NBK said:
It is not about being rich...

There was a time in my life when I had a pair of bino's that were worth more than my car...it is all about priorities! All my buddies would rib me over it. A little Volkswagen Dasher diesel versus a set of Swarovski 8x30 SLC's. All I wanted to do was hunt!

Now that I am thinking of it - that is some pretty funny $h!7....

Fine...now you are selfish! LOL

High end glass is great, but it isn't a must. I'll put my "cheap" glass up against anyone with premium glass. You just have to hand hold yours while I throw my on a tri-pod. ;)

I'm with the crowd on this one. Try to save up some more cash if possible. If not look for a used pair or demos. You can go cheap on glass but will regret it. Most people who feel that good glass can be bought cheaply honestly haven't spent any real time looking through good glass. I personally use Leica Geovids and didn't know what a difference there was until I borrowed a pair. Once I used them for a day I had to save up and buy a pair.

I agree about not buying cheap but with most gear fishing and hunting "good" or even "great" gear usualy cost a lot less then the top end gear. Example: you can spend $200 on a rod that is 90%-95% as good as a rod that cost $400. Yes there is a difference but not that much and is that little bit worth twice the cost? I was hoping $200 might get me into the 85%-90% without having to spend $400-$500 but if not, so be it.
What magnification and mm do you guys prefer 10X40?
Thanks for the replies so far

Around my neck I carry 8x30's - actually bino buddies...

MattS said:
I do not love my binos and I am going to buy another pair. What do you guys recomend as the best in the $200 range? thanks

IMO, to give a direct answer to your question, Alpen. I dont own a pair, but I think they will fit the bill.

I use a 10X50 by Vortex

give a look into zen -ray binos..i have a pair of there "summits" and i am very happy with them...top quality without the top quality price...

On binoculars.com they have Bushnell Legend Ultra HD for 249 and Bushnell is offering a 50 dollar rebate on there website that is good until December 31st. So that puts you around 200 bucks. The Legend ultra HD have a 100% money back guarantee.

If your on a set budget I would recommend looking at samplelist to see what they have in the demo models; they are usually way underpriced but the northforks deal sounds pretty darn good.

Ajsnack said:
On binoculars.com they have Bushnell Legend Ultra HD for 249 and Bushnell is offering a 50 dollar rebate on there website that is good until December 31st. So that puts you around 200 bucks. The Legend ultra HD have a 100% money back guarantee.

I have a pair of the Legends. They're decent for the money but they're low end of the spectrum.

I have spent a fair amount of time behind glass, I understand how someone might become faithful to a particular brand based on harvest results, I'm going to be a bit of a snob right now and tell everyone that cares to listen that high price glass works better (I've spent the money)and will show you more game in extreme conditions than "cheap glass" I just spent five days trying to pick mule deer out of scrub brush with my eyes,Sorry guys I don't agree with the cheap glass option giving equal results, glare dust and climatic conditions compromise your ability to see what's in front of you, good glass doesn't fix that but it does give you an advantage.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu