Best DIY cow elk hunt for an old fart

doccherry

May 7, 2021
Can no longer deal with bull elk at my age. Where and when would you recommend for an old man who wants to hunt DIY cow elk in the west? Can hike all day, carry a decent load, but I can't, solo or with a buddy, deal with a bull elk. Body has too many miles on it and warranty expired years ago. Have all the gear but haven't hunted elk for years. Looking at CO, NM, WY, but you guys know more than I do so any suggestions would be appreciated. Happy, safe New Year to all.

You could always use a packer after it's down.

Rifle or archery? Time of year budget?

Reactions: 180ls1
DIY ...cow elk in AZ is hard to beat..I mean I just stand there and let these guys do it all...but somebody had to teach um...Screenshot_20211018-163609~2.pngScreenshot_20211016-060254~2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
And they grow um quite large in the white mountains...

Might take a look at landowner tags, many available and lots of them offer full service hunts or will let you build what works for you so that you can go from they put you on the animal and get it out for you to do it on your own and everything in between.

There's no elk in the white mountains what are you talking about......That's where the deer live!
That's what they all say...I'm just there for the Gang Bang ..

Reactions: MJB
I'll second Hatchet and MJB. AZ cow and hire/pay a packer. Generally speaking the hills in AZ are mild compared to a lot of other states. It won't take you a lot of points either.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu