Beware of foxtails

ratz

Feb 17, 2011
Two weeks in a row, they got me.
The first weekend my dog chased a squirrel, and she came out of the thicket shaking he head a lot. I look in her ear and see nothing.
My wife took the dog to the vet the next day, and found that the dog had a foxtail between her eyeball, and her eye lid. we couldn't see it, but it was scratching her eye. he pulled it out just in time. $345.
A couple of days later she is still favoring that side, and he finds one deep in her ear.
His office has warnings about foxtails, and the dangers.
I went scouting in the mountains, and my socks, and hiking boots were so full of them it was amazing. It took me about 2 hours to clean out my boots, and I threw my socks away.
I suppose the good rain we got may have contributed to the large crop of foxtails.
Beware with your dogs!

Thanks for the info Ratz. I use to have an English Setter who would have foxtails stuck in her ears, its a money maker for the vets.

Thanks again,

This year seems really bad. I took my two hog dogs in to the vet last week after they both came out of thick brush shaking their heads. They caught a hog but ended up catching a foxtail in both ears... 800 dollars later I decided to keep them out of the woods for a while.

Last summer I didn't have any issues but seems like this summer, those nasty things are every where.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu