Big bear down opening day

Lungpopper said:
Very nice bear congrats Vince. Dave I hope Vince hooked you up with the good whiskey.

Popper, not only was I the mule, I also provided the whiskey.......What a guy will do for his brother.

We are going back to the Sierras this weekend, maybe we can shoot a buck or bear.

I was hoping Vince would get on here, but he has been working a lot.

He was shooting the new PSE Bow with a spitfire broadhead, bear was tall, yet vary lean for a big bear ( really tough time of year, drought and all )

We think he was in the 300lb class, yet was around 100lbs light, as he had no fat.

The spitfire broadhead puts a huge wound channel through whatever it passes through, yet eats up a boatload of energy for it to deploy, one must have sufficient bow, arrow energy to use this type of broadhead.

Entrance wound was at the 25% line from the top of his back, at around the liver line angling forward to exit at the tricept, (was a perfect hit ) yet did not exit the skin. Wound had around a 3" circle, we did not do a necropsy, as we was running out of daylight and had a tone of work to do.

Vince was using a lighted nock and the bear caught the arrow and never mad a sound, turned to his right and went down hill ( straight down hill ) about 80 yards in 2 seconds, stopped by a tree, then Vince looked away for a split second and the bear was gone, he thought he heard him making some noise, what had happened was the bear began to slide down hill, then started to pick up speed and momentum making divots every time he came back down to earth, 7 miles later he came to a stop in a little depression.

Vince has an uncanny ability to find AMAZING hunting spots, it might be because he has been bowhunting since before he had fuzz on his boys. But I do know he has a sixth sense about where game is, often way the hell off the grid in some hell hole.

Bear's body weight fluctuates more than any other animal in north America, this bear proves that body weight is really irrelevant to anything other than how much meat was cut and wrapped.

However, a 20" bear is a monster regardless of body weight.

Just the facts ma' me......... just the facts.

Holy cow Huge paws on that bear man amazing. Congrats I can only imagine the job getting it up the hill..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu