Big Bear thanksgiving mountain quail success.

bOnEsMaStA

Jun 27, 2013
San Diego
So i was wanting to bag me some mountain quail while hanging out with my family on thanksgiving.Im addicted to quail hunting. My girlfriend and i have done pretty well on valley quail. So i get a national forest map find a good looking spot and decided to get up early and hike around. 630 came around and i was off in 24 degree weather. I started my hike. Now at this point i was doubtful id see any. Being thats its my first year hunting and lack of info. 45 mins into it i see one running behind a boulder. I got that excited shakey hunter mode rush going and swang behind the boulder which led into a little clearing. Now i know going to get crap about the next part of my long story. I couldnt get these birds to flush at all. Valley quail flush at a seconds notice. Not these birds. So i shot the first bird on the ground. 2 more went under a log and i shot 2 with one shot missed the 4th one whiched flushed. Quickly threw another shell in and got em. Awesome hunt. Beautiful territory. Sorry for long read. ;D

Attachments

• securedownload.JPG
    securedownload.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: PyroTekRob
Don't be ashamed at all bud. I grew up hunting those things and I've honestly ony shot two out of the air. I'm convinced that they are the least likely to flush.

Last week I got into a covey of 100+ quail, all valley and mountain quail mixed together. Ended up flushing small coveys of valley quail and trying to kick mountain quail out of bushes. Ridiculous!

Well done! I've yet to hunt up in that area but have wanted to for a while! Very cool pic with the snow and your rig!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu