Big bore Airgun .357 Slayer takes first Jackrabbit(heavy Pics)

Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
Hey guys,exciting few weeks with the American Air Arms .357 Slayer.Tom first delivered the gun to John Cripe from Pelletgarden.com to use the gun on a few hunts and to test durability and any problems the gun may have had.Both John and I went on several hunts in some very desolate locations offering a good chance to really "use" the gun as a consumer would.The only real problem was when John in a hurry loaded the magazine in backwards,something anyone could have done.Things like this are very important when preparing a gun to be released to a consumer,Tom was happy this happened and is prepared to make changes as so this wont happened to the finished product.Moving on after that John tried several different pellets,two of which were a 139gr and a 125gr 1E nose,baby boattail that was pushing 1000fps providing more than enough FPE to stop a Jackrabbit.The gun was equipped with a very small dot sight that was sighted at 90yrds along with a Magpul forend grip for comfort.We went to a location in the mountains known to have very large Jackrabbits,I was a bit skeptical on the use of a dot sight on a gun that's capable of 300yrd shots.The place ended up being very slow with activity but I was able to take a shot on one laying down in some very thick brush at 150yrds,mind you the dot was covering my target at that range.Was able to take the kill but unfortunately was unable to recover due to the thick brush proving nearly impossible to get through,although I tried.This past Morning I showed up to Johns at 3:00am to pick him up to hunt but he was feeling under the weather so he gave me the gun along with a 50rnd box of his precision made 125gr pellets.I set out to the high desert on a solo mission to try and get a Jack,it was 71degrees and had just rained the day before.The time of arrival was 4:45am,I filled the gun to the 3600psi and loaded the 6 massive pellets along with water and food for the day.I also was carrying my binoculars around my neck not having a scope to view longer range.The morning was a bit slow as Im guessing the Jacks may have still been held up from the recent rainstorm.Within about 20min I sprung a young juvenile out from behind a set of Joshua trees and he was gone,making his large 1mile loop back to the same spot.The hiking was a bit rough and I was tired,by 9:00am it was already in the mid 80s and getting hotter by the min.I took a break around that time under some shade hoping to spot some Jacks taking shade in the distance,no such luck even with binoculars.The day was just plain slow with action so I hiked some more,my GPS said 6miles by this time.The slayer is very lightweight and at this point was happy it didn't have the extra weight of a scope.Anything becomes heavy when your hiking in the desert at these distances,feet were killing me and I was frustrated without really seeing anything but Juveniles.I started making my way back and came into a large valley with Joshua trees on one side,I thought to myself there has to be a Jack in here.I used my binoculars and sure enough there was,at 100+yrds I could barley make out his ears so I stalked in staying very low to the ground.I slowly made my way into a 60yrd range using the bushes as my cover and making sure he had no view of me.The Jack was a medium sized one but still the only good opportunity I had seen all day so I went for it in the kneeling position.I slowly raised the gun and aligned the dot a bit below his head and squeezed the very light trigger,TATHONK....WOW,instant poof of fur and blood.To me it looked like I shot a can of red spray paint is best I can describe.The Jack actually got flung backwards around 5ft from the impact.The Slayer is just plain devastating and I was shocked by the damage the 125gr pellets did,the impact went into the neck and came close to decapitating the head completely.I can honestly say its been a long time since I've had to put that much work into making a kill but it was well worth it just to see what that guns capable of.I want to thank Tom Costan and John Cripe for setting me up to use the gun,was loads of fun and a memory I will never forget.Anyone looking for a Bullpup with loads of power in a lightweight,easy handling gun with reliability and good looks,this is it.Enclosed are some pics,although I have none of me actually using it.

When does SCH get a American Air Arms .357 Slayer to take for a test drive? yes we are very interested!!!!!

Aeon said:
When does SCH get a American Air Arms .357 Slayer to take for a test drive? yes we are very interested!!!!!
This is a prototype American Air Arms "Bullpup" version,the rifle version will be tested next.The guns should be ready for purchase in about another month.The .457 version will be a BEAST

Very cool.......I'd like a smaller caliber. Maybe something in .260........Oh, and needs to be lead-free....... ;)

ilovesprig said:
Very cool.......I'd like a smaller caliber. Maybe something in .260........Oh, and needs to be lead-free....... ;)
This gun will be avail in a .25/.30/.357/.457. The smaller .25/.30 will be designed to shoot standard pellets and the larger are designed to shoot heavier slugs.

ilovesprig said:
Paper work the same as any other pellet gun (none)?
Im not aware of how it works in other states but here in CA they are legal to own/buy etc, This may change soon though..As far as hunting goes they are very capable.These are no over the counter Wally World guns though.haha not cheap either ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu