Big buck contest????

Not allot of time to plan it, so if you want to do it, here's my recommendation. Keep it local (maybe D11-17), use B&C scoring but only do gross (forget subtractions, as you likely will not want to split this into typical and non-typical) https://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRe...=bgRecords&type=Typical+Mule+Deer+&+Blacktail, picture needs to include deer, scorecard, hunter, and filled out tag (to confirm zone taken), ties are broken by tine length only (don't include mass), you probably would want to get a local taxidermist or wildlife officer not involved in the competition to act as official measurer in the event the winner is not clear through pictures (so maybe any measurements within 5" of one another).

GPS coordinates for where each deer is harvested must also be posted to the group. So that we can check for additional deer of a similar size in the area. (just kidding).
:)

I shouldn't kid. I'm all for bringing hunters together on an idea like the BBC (big buck contest).

GPS coordinates for where each deer is harvested must also be posted to the group. So that we can check for additional deer of a similar size in the area. (just kidding).
:)

I shouldn't kid. I'm all for bringing hunters together on an idea like the BBC (big buck contest).

I like this I will be in the field checking for gut piles and to make sure they have the proper permission

It didn't go "sour", we had a bow winner (Buck Hunter) and he picked out his bow from "The Bow N Arrow" shop. Unfortunately the rifle category was unable to be claimed due to lack of following the rules. We have the sponsors in place, but without the commitment from the forum members, it just isn't worth the time and money spent to manage it.

It's the same thing with the SCH Banquet. We get 150+ people to the event every year but it's like herding cats the last week before the event. We are left with the feeling that folks just don't understand or have an appreciation for what it takes to manage this site and the events and sponsors.

Maybe next year we will resurrect the buck tournament and the banquet but right now we just don't have the resources to spare.

It wasn't the lack of following the rules it was miss understanding them.... Don't make it sound like there wasn't a tag filled out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before this gets out of hand, let's clarify. There were several folks who could not qualify their deer for the 2015 tournament because the posted rules were not followed. And we won't bend the rules. Not following the simple and specific rules is not a "technicality". We do our best with these tournaments and have run them for 5 years now. So far everyone had been happy with what we have accomplished.

Last edited:
Before this gets out of hand, let's clarify. There were several folks who could not qualify their deer for the 2015 tournament because the posted rules were not followed. And we won't bend the rules. Not following the simple and specific rules is not a "technicality". We do our best with these tournaments and have run them for 5 years now. So far everyone had been happy with what we have accomplished.

John you don't do enough. I want more out of this free site. Thanks for all you do I appreciate it.

Back