Big game reg shotgun slug question?

xjon

Jul 26, 2014
it states:
(d) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells ring single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of ri es or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells ring size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.

Does anyone know what areas prohibits single slugs? Would local sherrif department or dfw know that?

what area are you wondering about?

D15 CNF west side and ortega. D14 lucerne area and fawnskin.
D12 area also but have not yet located an area to hunt.

Are you attempting to use slugs because you don't have a rifle?......The reason I ask is, I had a property that was bow or shotgun only....I had to be within 50 yds of a target just to hit somewhere on the target with a standard shotgun with a cylinder choke (recommended).....Terrible groups.

Those areas you mentioned all allow rifles as far as I know.....And since they allow rifles, I'm pretty sure they allow slugs.

Have a rifle that i normally hunt with. But im considering carrying a shotgun as secondary or if i plan on going after small game if opportunity pops up. I thought buck shots were ok then i see its strictly slugs.
At the range i was shooting at 50 yds, then 100 yds just to get an idea of where it hits. Good enough for 100 so i stretched out to 200 and by that time my shoulder was done. I will try to see how they group next time.

Have a rifle that i normally hunt with. But im considering carrying a shotgun as secondary or if i plan on going after small game if opportunity pops up. I thought buck shots were ok then i see its strictly slugs.
At the range i was shooting at 50 yds, then 100 yds just to get an idea of where it hits. Good enough for 100 so i stretched out to 200 and by that time my shoulder was done. I will try to see how they group next time.
As a rule of thumb I try not to shoot animals that I am not hunting. Unless I am bird hunting which then I am game on for Pheasant, Quail, and dove. A great example would be SDbirds and I were Javelina hunting for three days straight a Jack Rabbit stood up and I was going to shoot it out of pure boredom and frustration. I didn't take the shot and not 10 minutes later I practically stepped on a Javelina a few hundred yards away. I did not get a shot at the stinker but had I shot at that jack I can guarantee that Javelina would not have still been bed down. If your hunting deer just hunt deer. Even if a coyote pops up resist the temptation because it will haunt you if you pull the trigger and next thing you know a giant buck goes flying by.

As a rule of thumb I try not to shoot animals that I am not hunting. Unless I am bird hunting which then I am game on for Pheasant, Quail, and dove. A great example would be SDbirds and I were Javelina hunting for three days straight a Jack Rabbit stood up and I was going to shoot it out of pure boredom and frustration. I didn't take the shot and not 10 minutes later I practically stepped on a Javelina a few hundred yards away. I did not get a shot at the stinker but had I shot at that jack I can guarantee that Javelina would not have still been bed down. If your hunting deer just hunt deer. Even if a coyote pops up resist the temptation because it will haunt you if you pull the trigger and next thing you know a giant buck goes flying by.
Good rule, but I do carry my .260 with me when hunting rabbits (with my .22), just in case I get a random shot at a coyote. Rabbits have short memories and don't run far.

Good rule, but I do carry my .260 with me when hunting rabbits (with my .22), just in case I get a random shot at a coyote. Rabbits have short memories and don't run far.
this makes sense compared to the other stories. A javelina likely would get up and RUN and not stop. Rabbits are prey, they just seek the closest hidey hole.

Lol don rabbits don't count. I should have been more clear how about this if I am hunting something with a tag I am not going to try not to waste an opportunity. I passed on a couple D12 coyote last year, they were perfect dumb dogs standing broadside 100yards waiting to get shot.
But yes I will shoot a coyote all day long while rabbit hunting.

Reactions: Bonejour
Didn't look at the date. But first thing I noticed was the night shooting. I don't hunt riverside only done it a few times palm desert.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu