Big Horn Canyon Ranch

Bmars06

Mar 14, 2013
Anyone have any information about Big Horn Canyon Ranch? From what I've already heard, the sheep hunting is not very "sporty" but the piggy hunts are good.

Any thoughts?

It's high fence and none of the hunting is what I would call a challenge. Good place to go if you have never hunted and want to kill something.

Aeon said:
It's high fence and none of the hunting is what I would call a challenge. Good place to go if you have never hunted and want to kill something.

What he said...

yup! x2! i went once, years ago, and wont go back til my son learns how to shoot pretty good. Not a place for adults, great place for kids though. 8)

Bmars06 said:
Anyone have any information about Big Horn Canyon Ranch? From what I've already heard, the sheep hunting is not very "sporty" but the piggy hunts are good.

Any thoughts?

I say you go for it then draw your own conclusion on whether or not you like the place. Never been there but several family members who have. Go kill something then entertain us with a story. :)

It's all what you make of it......If you stay away from the feeding troughs then the hunt for pigs is in the thick stuff and it can be very challenging.

I have been as a spotter/guide/pusher with a newbie. They have wild boars but they are in the steep thick hills most of the time. You can ask them where the wild pigs are and not the floppy ear ones and they usually can get you where you need to be. But you need to be there before first light and stay until last light to see them moving.
It's really hard to glass them in the thick stuff it really requires some luck to spot them and then getting a clean shot is the next step that can be very hard. I would bring a spotting scope and some good glass. It's nearly imposable to stalk them in that stuff but sometimes a little drive by a pusher can get them moving and then be prepared for a real quick shot. We did this after lunch and it worked for my newbie.

One great thing if you don't have any luck in the thick stuff you can get a farm pig by the troughs or just go home and pay a small fee for the hunt.

Personally I would pay the 518 for a Tejon Pig management hunt but thats a whole another set of challenges.

Good luck!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu