binoculars

SDbear

Jan 26, 2014
I have a few questions about binoculars before I purchase a pair. First of all I hunt any species i can get a tag for so theses binoculars will be used for upland game, waterfowl, big game, and predator hunting. These binoculars must be versatile and durable. What zoom should I get? What brand? How much should I plan on spending? Whats the best bang for your buck? Where should I make the purchase? (I'm in San Diego) whats worked best for you?

ummmm you best start out with what kind of cash you can spend. No point in giving you 2k $ suggestions if you want 300$ glass.

I took a look at the leupold cascade 8x42 in fine firearms today and was impressed by the quality for price. Is 8x42 suitable for san diego hunting?

SDbear said:
I took a look at the leupold cascade 8x42 in fine firearms today and was impressed by the quality for price. Is 8x42 suitable for san diego hunting?
Definitely

Sent via Tapatalk

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupold-reg-BX-Cascade-x-Binoculars/1166877.uts

good reviews at cabelas from customer reviews. good looking binos to.
I agree with everyone else this will be great binos. but before you buy check out some 10x50
great for spot & stalk. I like the 8x42 for stalking or still hunting.

LBH2

The some of new Leupolds and the Bushnell Elite series can be had within your budget. Glass technology has come a long way in the last 5 years. You don't need to spend thousands anymore to get good glass.

I love my Leupold Mohave 12x50's but they are a little heavy and you need a steady hand with them. If you shake, you might need to rest them on something. 8x is plenty of magnification for most glassing.

Sent via Tapatalk

All good recommendations. I've used a set of Steiner 8x30 for archery hunting and 3d shoots for about 15 years. I have been taking recommendations and it seems that Fine Firearms has my next model in stock for more open terrain use.

10's......8's too small

Go to bps to look thru a wide range of glass. Look for brightness in low light conditions, glare while looking into the sun and clarity from center of view to edges of the glass. Beyond that is quick focus weight and comfort with the eye cups.

I got my Minox 10x42 HD as a demo with full warranty form these guys.
http://www.cameralandny.com/demos.html

atombombmx said:
All good recommendations. I've used a set of Steiner 8x30 for archery hunting and 3d shoots for about 15 years. Ihave been taking recommendations and it seems that Fine Firearms has my next model in stock for more open terrain use.

I also would like to go through fine firearms. One thing I have learned is customer service is hard to find. So far fine firearms and the bow and arrow shop are unmatched in customer service (In my opinion )

Hey so bear go buy those north forks . Several sch members use them and I do also. Great glass for the price. Excellent low light gathering . The 8.5x is underrated I think. They are way better than my 10 X 42 Steiner predators and my Alpin apex 10s.

I made up my mind. Leupold cascades bx-2 8×42 were my final decision. I compared them with the northforks and actually were about the same. I belive the cascades captured a little bit more light. The Bushnell elites were top dog but had a price tag that was about 200 more. The cascades were also lighter and more compact then the northforks. I hope I made the right decision. Field report to come soon. Also fine firearms was a great place to buy gear they spent alot of time to help me Make my decision.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu