Blm and Los Padres North of Filmore

smokindice

Dec 6, 2018
Has anyone hiked in to Los padres North of Filmore? O have had this marked on my map for awhile now but haven't had a chance to get out there yet.

If you go North through Filmore up goodenough road it dead ends into some BLM property, looks like you can hike in there or take a dirt road to squaw flat road and go through the whole southern part of Los Padres in D13.

Anyone ever scout around here? Is it too low in elevation for deer? I thought perhaps quail or dove, maybe even jack rabbit. Also, anything I should be mindful of, disgruntled private property owners, roads not to take? Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191020-191527.png
    Screenshot_20191020-191527.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
There isn’t an elevation that is “too low for deer” in California. Go check it out, boots on the ground scouting is the only way to satisfy these queries. I lived in Santa Barbara for a year and always thought that a lot of that backcountry stuff in the LPNF look awesome. It’s really broken up country and you could find something special back there that doesn’t get hunted much. I haven’t been to that area but anytime I see a bunch of chunks of private like that on the map I’m prepared to find locked gates...

Reactions: smokindice
There isn’t an elevation that is “too low for deer” in California. Go check it out, boots on the ground scouting is the only way to satisfy these queries. I lived in Santa Barbara for a year and always thought that a lot of that backcountry stuff in the LPNF look awesome. It’s really broken up country and you could find something special back there that doesn’t get hunted much. I haven’t been to that area but anytime I see a bunch of chunks of private like that on the map I’m prepared to find locked gates...
Surprisingly, not a tremendous amount of private land between that BLM plot and the national Forest. Maybe I will give it a look. Sometimes local regulations are hard to find so I always like to ask around to see if there is anything I need to be aware of. I don't wanna hike with a gun in my hands through an area that might find that threatening.

Surprisingly, not a tremendous amount of private land between that BLM plot and the national Forest. Maybe I will give it a look. Sometimes local regulations are hard to find so I always like to ask around to see if there is anything I need to be aware of. I don't wanna hike with a gun in my hands through an area that might find that threatening.

I would scout it as a “hiker” before going in with a weapon. My .02.

Sespe Condor sanctuary is also around that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a good point. My plan is to drive up and hike in at the BLM land south of the condor sanctuary, there is this pocket in between the sanctuary that is not included in the boundary. Took a screenshot of the area and where I plan to enter.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1571635318520.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1571635318520.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 17
That area of BLM is very steep terrain FYI. You'll be able to drive as far back as Spring Cyn Creek. The area to Dough Flat was walk in last I was there but that is mostly the sanctuary around that spot so not allowed to do much but pack through. The private spots are owned by oil co's. They'll have the areas they don't want you clearly posted or fenced. This is all assuming the road up there is in good condition. I would not go up there in bad weather as the road in looks vulnerable to land side in rains. Area needs a hot reset IMHO.

Make sure you wear orange,
And lots of it...that place gets hammered by locals...

Some great advice! Much appreciated! I will definitely hike around there and be careful of posted signs and the sanctuary, good tip on the orange too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu