BLM Land to go shoot.

InDeepShip

Nov 7, 2021
I finally got the opportunity to convince my Girlfriend to come to shoot with me after hating guns her whole life. Im looking for some nice BLM land around SD that is quiet and not super busy during this week. The reason being is I don't want someone with a big break next to us scaring her off. Some of us like it but I doubt that would be a good first experience.

I got the .22 and am planning on leaving the bigger stuff at home. Just planning on shooting paper due to not having steel but not opposed to an outdoor range. Might go down to South bay but I think Pala might be a little busy. I saw a place off the 94 but Im not sure if the gate is open or not. Any tips or locations would be great.

It's surprising what a few riots in the same city will do to people who hate guns.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I may be wrong but most BLM in SD county has been no go for target shooting. The spot with the gate you mention off the 94 (pink?) was closed after some turds set a fire there a couple years back.. not sure if it ever reopened and, if it has, I doubt anyone would mention so here. Best bet is to go to the IV which is in the BLM El Centro field office jurisdiction. I can point you to a couple areas there via PM if needed.

I may be wrong but most BLM in SD county has been no go for target shooting. The spot with the gate you mention off the 94 (pink?) was closed after some turds set a fire there a couple years back.. not sure if it ever reopened and, if it has, I doubt anyone would mention so here. Best bet is to go to the IV which is in the BLM El Centro field office jurisdiction. I can point you to a couple areas there via PM if needed.
I'll give them a call thanks.

pink gate has been open since nov. They will close it when big storms come but you can still walk inn. sorry if I gave away the secret spot but its not really a secret. drive another 5 miles and you can shoot all you want without worry at SB gun club

this spot is most definitely not secret. i go rabbit hunting around there sometimes. last time i went when i was walking back i would hear ricochets through the little valley behind that big hill. so i stayed away from the trail and walked through the bushes back to the gate. i went to the people still shooting even though i was walking and told them their bullets are flying off into who knows where and they said they know. i about flipped. i told them to move down to use the hill as the back stop and he pretty much told me i shouldn’t be back there anyways cause it’s a well known shooting area. idiots!!

If you call the BLM field office for the area they actually have designated shooting areas and will send you a list of their locations with directions. Just because it’s BLM don’t go blasting away.

this spot is most definitely not secret. i go rabbit hunting around there sometimes. last time i went when i was walking back i would hear ricochets through the little valley behind that big hill. so i stayed away from the trail and walked through the bushes back to the gate. i went to the people still shooting even though i was walking and told them their bullets are flying off into who knows where and they said they know. i about flipped. i told them to move down to use the hill as the back stop and he pretty much told me i shouldn’t be back there anyways cause it’s a well known shooting area. idiots!!
I thought that area was closed to target shooting and open to hunting? Isn’t there a sign that says no target shooting?

it use to be all blm areas were open to target shooting and all national forest hunting only and no target shooting. people shoot glass bottles and trash ruined it for all of us.
use targets and no trash or bottles. and have a good hill as a stop.
blm in san diego may be open now, check with the BLM. and get in writing. iv blm is better and but they prefer one target shoots in certain areas, read all the laws pertaining to shooting and target practice. so you don't get a ticket and and your weapon confiscated.
take you lady on a picnic while there and make a day out of it. good luck

Reactions: Kansa
they allow it there they only put up a sign saying no target shooting during high fire risk. at least that’s what ive seen. dont bother asking the border patrol guys any questions. one of them didn’t even know that you were allowed to hunt there.

it use to be all blm areas were open to target shooting and all national forest hunting only and no target shooting. people shoot glass bottles and trash ruined it for all of us.
use targets and no trash or bottles. and have a good hill as a stop.
blm in san diego may be open now, check with the BLM. and get in writing. iv blm is better and but they prefer one target shoots in certain areas, read all the laws pertaining to shooting and target practice. so you don't get a ticket and and your weapon confiscated.
take you lady on a picnic while there and make a day out of it. good luck
Yeah still good spots. I have been so stir crazy the last two weeks. I used to shoot off my sailboat. I lived on the vessel and sailed pretty well everyday. I was not wealthy, just living on a boat was affordable for a carpenter. Heck of good shooting practice

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu