Bobcat hunt

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
Got a sitter locked in and the weather seems to be better than it will be on Saturday. I like to hunt after weather has rolled by and this might be the window for some cats. will set up a couple dog stands but I need to fill 2 bobcat tags. will be out all day. anyone interested in tagging along. rifle backup maybe?

Sounds like fun, but I got too much going on right now. I got a female cat already, looking for a male before seasons end.
Good hunting.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
found the only decent weather window in the county. going to make the best of it. ill try to see what i can do during that window and the rest of the day im going to scout some land. 5 miles in! looks promising piece of public thats hard o get into. been seeing slot of good deer sign in this area.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 31
so i went out on saturday up to palomar mountain. an area where ive seen some bobcat before but failed to call in any coyotes. driving up the roads were icy and it was in the low 30's. parked and headed out and decided to set up my first stand with bob cat in heat. nothing. tried for an hour with no results. thought i saw a coyote trying to circle on me but it ended being a branch. saw sign but it seemed it was either from yesterday or the night before beacuse it snowed over night.
20190216_094648-jpg.38242

20190216_095016.jpg

nevertheless i kept trying switch calls from bobcat in heat to different types of prey sounds. i would sit an hour and move on trying to cover land. nothing came. i came to the conclusion all the melt away since the sun had been ou and he temperatures climbing washed all the areas the mice and rabbits would hide and say rabbit track going up hill. so i followed and same result. with the temperature staying around hi 40's i then just started hiking to cover land and scout some waypoints i had plotted.
20190216_111515.jpg
ended up climbing a few thousand feet in elevation and kept seeing sign but with no luck on the calls.

over all it was a fun trip out cant complain. waked 10.3 miles and climbed 2130 feet. found a USFS surveying monument at 5300 feet. nice view for lunch. going back down i had an encounter with a skunk that almost got me sprayed. so i added another species to my bow list.

like i said i cant complain i was out in Gods wilderness and tried to the best of my ability. i mouth called bobcat in het sounds and set up stands in both heat and prey with no results. either way my equipment kept up and i wasnt hurt.

what i learned.
-always bring your archers tools just in case something comes loose. had to use a zip tie to secure my quiver to my bow.
-check your boot laces every now and then. they just might come undone as you step in 3 feet of snow slosh (had extra socks whiched saved the day)

one last thing. as i came back to the car i had a note on my car saying i parked on a private road and Jeff valley had no public access. i will have to check up or does anyone have any information of that location.

20190216_114913.jpg
20190216_165515.jpg
20190216_085805.jpg

Attachments

• 20190216_094648.jpg
    20190216_094648.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 187
Nice adventure! You got to experience a very non so cal hunt, more like what guys in the mountain states experience. I’m a wimp who avoids the snow lol.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't turn out that the road you were on actually is OK for you to be on.

People do that kinda mess.

They are either ill-informed or on purpose spread mis-information to keep "hunters" out of "their" forest (as they see it).

Let us know what you find out in that regard.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I'll be surprised if it doesn't turn out that the road you were on actually is OK for you to be on.

People do that kinda mess.

They are either ill-informed or on purpose spread mis-information to keep "hunters" out of "their" forest (as they see it).

Let us know what you find out in that regard.
yea theres a gate that clearly saya its private but before that theres a turn out where i park. i access the public at the corner.View attachment 38248

YEah Ok, I'm pretty sure I remember that they can't block your access to that public land. They can disallow you to park on that private road, but since that road in is the only way to access that public parcel, I seem to recall they have to allow you to pass, on foot. Similar situation I asked about in D11 and was explained how the property owners raised a big stink and got all bravo with passers by and got the green jeans called on them to give them a stearn talking to about what they can and can't do.

I'd say printout this map portion... then write onto it the phone number and name of the green jeans agent you confirmed with, and put it in plain sight on the dash or on your seat or center console. maybe even cite the CCR code number that allows your access down that road.

SDHunt
One of my fun times is I like tracking stuff in the snow.
Follow the tracks if possible.
Look spectacular. Fun times
Just for shit and grinds, try a hen call. It gets their attention.

Larry
Good advice brother.
People always trying their hardest
To dick with us hunters.
Sabotage and harass us........

YEah Ok, I'm pretty sure I remember that they can't block your access to that public land. They can disallow you to park on that private road, but since that road in is the only way to access that public parcel, I seem to recall they have to allow you to pass, on foot. Similar situation I asked about in D11 and was explained how the property owners raised a big stink and got all bravo with passers by and got the green jeans called on them to give them a stearn talking to about what they can and can't do.

I'd say printout this map portion... then write onto it the phone number and name of the green jeans agent you confirmed with, and put it in plain sight on the dash or on your seat or center console. maybe even cite the CCR code number that allows your access down that road.
thanks ill try to call them tomorrow. i called the sherrif and they didnt have any information on that road and directed me to the county. but ill gice USFS a try.

To my knowledge, if it is a private drive. And if it is posted no trespassing. Ya it's legit.
If the road is easement for land owners. And If it is not a county maintained road.. or forestry road. Which the public has access to. A private road is no go.

Here is an other scenario.
If it is a private drive and it is not posted. He has the right to give you a warning to stay off.
You have been warned.
You must leave and not trespass.
It is private property.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Here is an other scenario.
If it is a private drive and it is not posted. He has the right to give you a warning to stay off.
You have been warned.
You must leave and not trespass.
It is private property.
yea seems like that might be the senerio. just a shame that 550 acres have no real access. the onlt access would be from the other side of the property and its a steep climb!

i know organizations like RMEF help with opening acess but is there an organization that could help?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu