Bobcats and coyotes

AbeLincoln

Oct 13, 2017
Lakeside
Hey everyone, while I joined SCH last year this is my first post. I got my first deer tag last year and have slowly jumped into hunting beyond the dove opener. First off, all my questions so far have been answered by a quick search of past threads so thank you for all the different discussions over the past years!

On to my reason for posting. I went out coyote hunting a couple days ago and within a couples minutes of using the Pup in distress call, a bobcat came within 15 yards of my friend and I. My friend went out today to another location and called in two bobcats using the same call, is this common? We were pretty surprised at how vocal the cats were. Curious your thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NBK
Abe, from what Ive learned, it's not uncommon at all to have bobcats respond to coyote calls. This can happen evenmoreso at times when using a small game distress call such as a rabbit, or mouse. The unfortunate side is they're not in season yet.

It happens all the time. Also lions, hawks, ravens, crows and even owls. But do not shoot a bob cat if you used an electric caller. (Ive always learned this but have been proven wrong.) thanks guys for correcting me. Only hand and mouth and of coarse during season.

As already stated buy a tag they are cheap.

Last edited:
  • §475. Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals.
    Nongame birds and nongame mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows:
    • (a) Poison may not be used.
    • (b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.

A little off topic but about 18 years ago me brother was propped up against a tree wearing a Ghillie suit and calling turkeys in the SBNF. A Bobcat came inspecting to within 10 feet of him. By principle, we were not predator hunters at the time but if that would happen now, we would have us a nice mount....
It's funny cause in the same area, a friend shot him two chunky acorn fed squirrels and later BBQ'd em much to the dismay of his family. His wife and daughters did not speak to him for a few days. Unbeknownst to him, them squirrels were illegal to hunt. He claimed they were tasty.

Reactions: AbeLincoln
Thanks everyone, I will definitely have a bobcat tag before season opens. Hopefully I’ll have a few coyote pelts as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm opps thanks. Ive always learned it wasn't ok with an e-caller even way back as a kid. Thanks for the clarification. Now ill wack them more.
Maybe its a family thing or maybe it was something i brought back from Montana or Wyoming? Not sure where i got it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu