Bonehead move

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
I stopped by the municipal range at Morley Field on Tuesday on the way home from a long day of work that followed too little sleep the night before. I've been trying to get settled in with my awesome new compound bow and Bruce has taught me so much, I'm trying to get to a good level of skill as quickly as possible.
I was getting good groups at 50 yards, concentrating so much on form and trying to figure out what I was doing to push the arrows consistently to the right (see pics), that I completely forgot to nock an arrow. Result was a dry fire. I didn't even realize what happened for a couple of seconds, till I checked my quiver and there was one arrow too many. Really bummed, but lucky I didn't get hurt and that the bow didn't sustain more damage than it did (upper cam, cables and string being replaced.)
There was an experienced archer (Graham) nearby who saw it happen and came over to help. He said making sure an arrow is nocked is both the first and the last thing he does. Of course I know better than to dry fire any bow, but compounds are new to me and I don't see the arrow as I'm sighting... And until This happened, it was not part of my checklist. Now it is.
I'm very embarrassed that this happened, but I'm reporting it so that someone might benefit from my error.
:/
su4u7aze.jpguma4uga8.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

Attachments

• su4u7aze.jpg
    su4u7aze.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 0
That sucks Don. Then again it could have been worse. Don't worry about the groups being to the right. Just concentrate on the groups being consistent. You can move the gang later.

Don go take some lessons at the other shop in Miramar they have group shootings and an instructor to help with your form.

It can be hard when your doing it yourself

welcome to bow hunting.... this will not be the last silly thing you do, wait till it costs you a animal or ten :)

Thanks Mark and Darryl. I definitely am going for tight groups first. Lessons are a great idea. Ghost and I were talking about doing that as he transitions from traditional and I'm getting up to speed.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour

sorry partner. but I almost did the exact mishap. but someone warned me before I took the shot. I was lucky. . . . . . . . . . .It sort of rattle me when it happen.
I did not properly knocked the arrow & it came loose. whereas in traditional I have my finger right below the arrow. &
I have never had this problem with traditional. We learn from our mistakes. Thanks for posting.
I will be looking at taking future lessons. more work on form , & try to prevent from this happening again.

Take Deep Breath. :)

Been there done that. But im not sure which is a better story:

Driving over your bow
or
A porcupine chewing through the lims of a bow

I knew exactly what your thread was about as soon as I saw the title.

Breacher said:
Been there done that. But im not sure which is a better story:

Driving over your bow
or
A porcupine chewing through the lims of a bow

I knew exactly what your thread was about as soon as I saw the title.
Haha

Sent via Tapatalk

My top ten list....
Pulling back only to see field point not a broad head.

Two hours hiking in the dark only to find that the release /tab is in the truck.

Forgot range finder/binos

Wake up late and haul ass out of camp only to bust the big 4x4 almost in camp

Hit the one tiny little branch that sends the arrow zipping away at a 45deg angle

Hit the huge tree you Were trying so hard not to hit

The list goes on. I'll add more as I remember them

My first season bowhunting, I borrowed a friend's bow. While sighting in/practicing, I dry-fired it. Like you, I was looking for the arrow in the target, and trying to figure out what happened. I took the bow in, and the limbs were fractured. Wouldn't you know it, that bow was no longer in production, and Jennings had to custom-make new limbs. I thought it would be worse, but those new limbs and new strings/cables only cost me $250. Yikes!

The next year, I bought a new bow- Mathews Switchback. Within two weeks, I had dry-fired that one as well, while sighing in/practicing. Fearing the worst, I took it to Bruce, but it turned out to only have damaged the string and cables. $110 for new set, and I was back in business.

These were expensive lessons, but I haven't repeated this mistake since 2005. Keep at it, be very careful, and I think you will get past that stage.

Dry firing a bow may actually be a requirement. It's like a right of passage..... ;D

I remember when I did, it made a horrible sound and I instantly felt sick to my stomach, know what I had just done. My kids learned a new word that day....

that's too bad about your Bow, it happens..... I gotta ask, if you are just learning about, and learning to shoot your new Bow. Why are you shooting from such a long distance? Not trying to step on your toes but you should not be shooting from that distance. You should be concentrating on form and shot sequence, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and trouble. From your post it sounds like you are trying to hurry for next season. BAD Idea this is exactly why us hunters get a bad name, IMO you should practice and get fluid with your bow before you go out there and potentially make a huge mistake hunting. Don't rush it, it will come.

Breacher said:
Dry firing a bow may actually be a requirement. It's like a right of passage..... ;D

I remember when I did, it made a horrible sound and I instantly felt sick to my stomach, know what I had just done. My kids learned a new word that day....
;D now that was funny, and true

motorhead said:
that's too bad about your Bow, it happens..... I gotta ask, if you are just learning about, and learning to shoot your new Bow. Why are you shooting from such a long distance? Not trying to step on your toes but you should not be shooting from that distance. You should be concentrating on form and shot sequence, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and trouble. From your post it sounds like you are trying to hurry for next season. BAD Idea this is exactly why us hunters get a bad name, IMO you should practice and get fluid with your bow before you go out there and potentially make a huge mistake hunting. Don't rush it, it will come.
That's a fair question and a valid concern, but I don't think I'm giving anyone a bad name. Let me explain: I went from 20 to 30 yards when my groups got too tight at 20 yards. I had already hit several arrows with follow up shots and I was worried I'd damage the vanes. Then, when I actually split an arrow, I figured I needed a longer range. I was still tight at 30 and then at 40, and I adjusted the pins at those ranges. I figured 50 yards would be safe but more telling about my form and sight adjustment, and I was correct: at 20-40 yards I couldn't tell I needed to make a gang correction (which is apparent at 50 yards). Those pics show My groups are pretty tight, but right about 3-4 inches, at 50 yards (that's a 40cm target). I agree that I shouldn't rush, but if I don't get distance, I can't adjust my sights. I did what LP suggested at every range: tighten my groups before adjusting my sights or advancing.
I appreciate everyone's thoughtful input. I'm glad this is a useful thread.

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks Nick. I think I understand what Motorhead meant. If I didn't have good groups at a given distance, there would be no need to increase the distance. And if all my shots weren't on paper, it might even be dangerous and irresponsible to increase the distance.
So I think the distance was irrelevant in this case. But it's possible that fatigue may have played a role in my error. Anyway, as we say in my line of work, good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

As soon as your bow is fixed you should do a "walk back" tune on it. You know this already but I'll explain anyway. Haha. At 20-30 yards your bow might be right on but as you get farther back your arrow could be left or right due to more distance between you and the target. This allows your arrow to have more distance to wander off course. Shoot at 20 then with the same pin shoot at 25 then same pin at 30. After that you will be able to see if your arrow rest is off. Look up YouTube videos it will explain. Once again you might know all this already but just in case. Good luck man.

Sent from my iPhone

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu