Bootfoot vs stockingfoot for Wister

CuppedUp

Nov 28, 2019
About to order some new waders for next season at Wister and am debating between bootfoot or stockingfoot. I’ve always worn bootfoot but am debating if stockingfoot would work well in the Wister mud (assuming you get the boot tight enough). What do you think?

Reactions: sherpa
I have always used stockingfoot, but I know guys that use bootfoot. I think it's really a personal preference. I don't have an issue in the Wister mud with the foot slipping in the stockingfoot.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Your foot will not pull out of stockingfoot waders but they take longer to put on & take off. This is a factor for some guys that prefer to put waders on when they get to the blind. If you hunt with a dog & the dog us having trouble finding a bird, jumping into some bootfoot waders is quicker & easier.

I've had bootfoots that fit good with minimal issues of pulling out of them & others where I have to hold them up with my hands so I won't pull out.

I've had bootfoot for a long time but I think my next pair will be stockingfoot chest waders because it would be beneficial more of a snug fit in some deeper spots I hunt. The down side is they won't be as insulated for long days sitting in a tule seat so my feet might get cold.

I use nothing but boot foot (except fishing from a tube)...I haven't had any problem with boot pulling off...I normally buy boots that are one size smaller...Oh, and breatables for Wister...2 cents

ps...I almost never put on my waders till I get to the blind...It increases the life of waders at least 2 fold.

Reactions: longduck
About to order some new waders for next season at Wister and am debating between bootfoot or stockingfoot. I’ve always worn bootfoot but am debating if stockingfoot would work well in the Wister mud (assuming you get the boot tight enough). What do you think?
I hunted in Mexico for many years and always used boot waders, faster and easier to get off and on, plus I don’t think they make insulated stocking waders, might be wrong it’s been a long time

I used boot foot waders for two seasons at Wister and San J and I had to use velcro straps to keep the boots from slipping off which led to the waders leaking where the boots meet the wader. I switched over to stockingfoot waders this season and I liked them a lot better, they’re easier to walk in and don’t slip off my feet. I put a tarp on the ground so I can stand when putting on the waders and sit on my hunting seat to put on the boots, its been pretty easy. I saw on the Simms website that they make wading boots with the boa lacing system, I’d definitely like to try them I have boa laces on my golf shoes and they fit real well, I’d imagine they’d work good on wader boots too.

Boot foots, its easier. I hunted thigh deep mud on the river for years it's all about how you move your foot in and out of the mud. The backwaters I hunted were so full of silt that many times I wish I had chesties but was able to do it with hippers if I did not walk back across my previous tracks. One time I filled my hippers up and shot ducks in my skivies on while the hippers dryed out. I was by myself so no one was offended. (p.s. I got a limit that morning of cotton tops)

I prefer boot foot but I do have issues with my feet pulling out sometimes. This is not an issue at Kern or the Jack but Wister mud just sucks. Stocking foot is what I prefer to use at Wister BUT, putting on boots over the stockingfoot waders is a pain. Tying your boots sucks and usually has to be done again after you go in the water. As far as insulation is concerned....it's Wister and should not be a problem at all.
So you see this decision should be as clear as mud.

One last bit of info....you can get some good deals on stockingfoot waders right now. Rogers has some on clearance I believe...

Sent you a PM

Your dog sets and picks up decoys? Gnarly

Of course not bud, Come on now. Your smarter then that! With a avatar name of @CuppedUp I’d expect you to understand that the mouth breathers that want to hunt with a dog bring the waders.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
1582691711235.png

Ahh... the good old days of Big 5 ‘plastic’, elastic waist ‘waders’.

Just add old tennis shoes and good to go.

That’s how my dad got 3 sons out to the marsh at Wister back in the 60’s and even the 70’s.

I remember it like it was yesterday.....

I think they were $5 a pair back then.

Reactions: chessie

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu