Bow fishing for Turkeys

invisible man

Walk The Line
Oct 7, 2011
About 20 feet up
I don't know if this falls under fishing or upland,so im putting it here. Watching Arrow Affliction today and these guys are archery hunting turkeys with bow fishing rigs. So they sit in a ground blind and call them in with a decoy out just like normal, and then they shoot the bird with a fishing rig with 20yrd of line. Im just blown away by this. They hit the bird then drop the bow in the blind and then run out and grab the line and pull it in. Total kaos.

Sounds like a good way to get in trouble in CA. I'm sure a warden would find a way to give you a ticket for taking a turkey with angling equipment. Also if you shoot the wrong bird it may hand you your a$$. My buddies kid shot a bird with 11/8" spurs. I hate to deal with that one on the end of a string.

That's what I was thinking John. Ive picked up a kicking bird before and got major hole punched in my hand. If you guys have outdoor channel you gotta watch this episode.It should be on again this week a couple times. Brooks Johnson is gone and the guy from fear no evil is the new host. There is an old saying about a turkey coming in like you had him on a string, but this was crazy.

I guess it would depend on the arrow tip. A fishing tip for turkey would not be a good idea.
They have been selling a tracer string for years that works the same, but it is a small dental floss string on a one time use spool attached to your stabilizer. It is used for tracking only, (just follow the string) but not strong enough to reel one in. I knew someone that would use it on pigs in thick brush. He would get a good string run for the first 30-40 yards then it would tangle and break. 30-40 yards is a great head start when tracking on your hand and knees in pig tunnels.

Invisible man said:
I don't know if this falls under fishing or upland,so im putting it here. Watching Arrow Affliction today and these guys are archery hunting turkeys with bow fishing rigs. So they sit in a ground blind and call them in with a decoy out just like normal, and then they shoot the bird with a fishing rig with 20yrd of line. Im just blown away by this. They hit the bird then drop the bow in the blind and then run out and grab the line and pull it in. Total kaos.
[/q

you have to have a fishing license for this

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu