bow mounted range finder

archerthearcher

Dec 3, 2012
Ramona CA
Anyone have any experience with a bow [or gun] mounted range finder?

Friend of mine sent me this link, and I am really considering it.

http://www.woot.com/plus/leupold-leupold-leupold

The price is cheaper than what a brick and mortar store can buy them for.

Invisible man said:
If they were legal in Ca, we would all be hunting with them. ;)

Wow never heard of that before.. But guess thats why we are all here is to watch each others back!

So is this not legal in ca as well?
maxresdefault.jpg

What about guns? There are optics for rifles with batteries and lasers. Does this apply to guns while hunting in CA also?

Here are the regs. As I read it if it is not projecting a light it is alright
(i) Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of Section 353 or Section 354, Title 14, CCR, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal. Devices commonly referred to as "sniperscopes", night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, “red-dot” scopes with self-illuminating reticles, and fiberoptic sights with self-illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal are permitted.

Now I know for a fact that the regs use to prohibit any bow mounted lights or lasers but I cant find the lasers in the current regs. When the Leupold Vendetta came out the regs at the time were worded such that they prohibited bow mounted range finders.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu