Bow selection

What type of bow are you shooting and why did you pick that particular bow setup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Cochran

Utah Buck 2010
Jan 8, 2011
Alpine, Ca
I am shooting a Mathews Switchback that is a few years old. What are you shooting and how did you decide on your bow set up? I have had a few bows over the years but have never bought new. Started with a PSE, to Oneida to a Fred Bear and Now a Switchback. Each bow has been a little better than the last. I have killed deer with each bow I have owned and I am sure I will eventually spend some big money on a new set up.

Just wondering,
Larry Cochran

Hoyt Carbon Element. I have been shooting it for a year and a half and love it. It's light, and fast. I keep my bows for a long time so I could justify the cost.

Funny how I came about buying my first bowtech (101st airborne)... It was a toss up between Bowtech and Mathews I walked into our local Mathews dealer with cash in pocket TWICE to buy a drenalin and both times i was in there for 45 mins without anyone even saying hi. After that I walked into The Bow and Arrow shop and will never go anywhere else. I have bought two Bowtechs now.

Srfnkill said:
Funny how I came about buying my first bowtech (101st airborne)... It was a toss up between Bowtech and Mathews I walked into our local Mathews dealer with cash in pocket TWICE to buy a drenalin and both times i was in there for 45 mins without anyone even saying hi. After that I walked into The Bow and Arrow shop and will never go anywhere else. I have bought two Bowtechs now.

Sounds like they have good customer service there. I wish I lived closer.

I started off with a Bowtech Independence. Then I bought a Bowtech General...then I shot a Diamond Black Ice for two years and now I shoot the Bowtech Assassin. I have a little different search criteria when looking for bows due to 4 shoulder surgeries. I need something light (3.5 lbs.) and something with a gradual/smooth draw cycle.

[/quote]
Sounds like they have good customer service there. I wish I lived closer.
[/quote]
Bruce the owner of the Bow and Arrow Shop provides the best customer service hands down. Other local shops want to charge you for just touching your bow. I've seen Bruce and his staff tune and adjust people's bows (even ones bought at other shops) for free. He is an outstanding guy to deal with but unfortunately you see people who don't appreciate it. At least they don't until they visit the other local shops. Bruce is also one of the contributors for the archery prize for this years big buck contest.

Isn't it cheaper to buy a bow on line? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think everything is cheaper on-line. I bought a Fred Bear on line from Cabelas and there was no customer service. I had to take it to the Bow n Arrow shop to get it set up. This is even before Bruce bought the shop and Jim took care of it without even giving me a hard time about not getting a bow there. Like I mentioned earlier, I will pay extra for good service.

Thanks,
Larry

I was just giving Mergrath the business...Bruce and his boys are worth every penny. As Randomshot and Mergrath eluded too, the BownArrow shop is an amazing experience. Both Fine Firearms and the BownArrow shop are not only selling hardware but more importantly they are selling the sport of hunting and shooting.

And long term - again, it is not cheaper to buy the bow online. it is tough to hang a price on good customer service.

NBK said:
Isn't it cheaper to buy a bow on line? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Trust me, I have bought two bows online. Bruce has always treated me as if had bought the bows directly from him. Which is why he has gotten my last two bow purchases as well as countless references. There is allot more in purchasing a bow and getting it set-up than a gun IMO! ;)

I went to the Bow N Arrow shop and told Bruce I was in the market for a new bow. Upgrading from a Bowtech Soldier. Bruce handed me a Bowtech Insanity so I bought it. Just kidding. Shot the Invasion and Insanity. Originally wanted the Invasion for its 7" brace height but Bruce suggested I try the Insanity. Couldn't be happier. As for why I stick with Bowtech. I feel they are at the top as far as their innovative technology. Most bow companies strive to improve but Bowtech is in a league of their own in my opinion. You can also get their top of the line model for less than a grand while other companies sell less quality bows for more.....Ma*t <coughing> hews. ;)

Oh and the Bow N Arrow shop is second to NONE. Best customer service anywhere. Treat you like they've know you forever. Friendly, knowledgeable and close to home. Bruce and Jim are great!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu