Bowhunter Education Program Starting on April 13, 2019, at 7:30am at Escondido Fish and Game range in Escondido, CA.

Per the website...
"These classes fulfill the Bowhunter Education requirements in other States. California does not currently have a Bowhunter Education requirement. Please note that this class is separate from and does not apply to receiving your Hunter Safety Certificate. "

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Class is this Saturday, probably full, but I am sure there are others available later on.
Received additional information regarding what is to be covered. Mix of in class coursework as well as 3d Range time afterwards.

Class Topics:

Chapter 1: Introduction to Bowhunting
This chapter will deal with the history and evolution of Bowhunting, funding sources for this class and other conservation related programs as well as a few demographics regarding bowhunting and hunting in general.

Chapter 2: Conservation
This chapter will consist of a discussion of management and conservation principles and wildlife identification.

Chapter 3: Safety
This chapter will discuss safety while bowhunting as well as a discussion of ethics and hunting’s’, specifically bowhunting’s, public image and what we as bowhunters can do.

Chapter 4: Equipment
In this chapter we will cover all aspects of equipment from selection to proper set up.

Chapter 5: Preparation
This chapter will cover proper shooting form and shot execution, and scouting or planning a hunt in general. Considering a major concern for most hunters is finding a location to go hunting we will cover this aspect in detail and make sure you have the resources to find new places to hunt.

Chapter 6: Methods
In this chapter we will be concerned with basic Still hunting, Spot and Stalk and fixed position hunting. Additionally we will cover the use of Decoys, Scents and Calling.

Chapter 7: Shot Placement and Game recovery
This chapter will cover shot placement on a variety of animals as well as recovery tips, field dressing and removal of game from the field.

Chapter 8: Basic first aid and survival
This chapter is a discussion of first aid and survival in a hunting situation.

I registered for their next offering on July 13, looks really cool especially since I applied for an A22 tag.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Keep in mind this is a hunter education class w/ a bow hunt slant. Not an Archery course/class.
They do go into some details on tuning your bow, and tuning your arrows for your set-up and bow, but not so much form etc...
The main teacher Erik, has been bowhunting most of his life, so the best value is just picking his brain.
The rest of the course is very similar to the normal hunter education class (from what I remember).
Passing this course allows you to bow hunt in the 30 some odd states that mandate the need for this certification.
I would expect CA to be on the shortlist to be adding this bow hunt certification requirement as well.
Course goes quick, AM is spent going over the 'book'. PM is in the field with a dozen or so 3d targets practicing various distances, mock tree stand, blind, kneeling, etc...
Good networking opportunity as well to develop relationships with other like minded individuals.
-Robert

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu