brand new bowhunter from oceanside

BowSlinger

Nov 17, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Hey everyone!

I'm brand spankin new to bowhunting. Actually, even newer than that. I'm still in Afghanistan, last pump before I close out the last 8 years of my life. Anyways, I picked up a buddy's Bowhunter magazine and developed an obsession! I've always been interested in hunting, especially bowhunting. But being that I'm from Pasadena, and come from a family of non-hunters, I never really got the opportunity to hunt. I get back stateside in March/April, and plan on going to a hunter's safety/knowledge course and plan on purchasing a mid-class bow, lookin at the Bear Legion. I did a little archery when I was stationed in Hawaii, and found I had a talent in the sport, so I'm sure I'll progress. I dont want to outgrow a beginner's bow within the first year, which explains why I'm wanting to go with the mid-class bow. Also, I plan on just buying the bow, some arrrows with practice broadheads, and a target. And I plan on tearing up that target before even TRYING to hunt. It's funny, I lived in California my entire life (up until I enlisted) and never knew we had such a strong hunting community! It's great to find out I won't have to travel far to meet people with the same obsession as me! All in all, I wanted to jump head first into this forum and learn as much as I possibly can before I get back so I can hit the ground running!

Thanks for reading, and happy hunting!

I'll assume you're in the Marine Corps? Welcome to the site. So Afghanistan has those same archery bugs? Sounds like you've been bitten bad!

Welcome to the website and thanks for serving your country!

The site is chalk full of bow hunters so finding information should be easy...

Thanks everyone for the appreciation, I appreciate your appreciation. Lol!

Breacher, yeah, the Corps it is. And yeah, the bug bit hard, its the only bowhunting magazine I have out here, so I've read it from cover to cover at least 20 times, no joke!

I find bowhunting, and hunting in general, a very humbling experience. I'm not hippie, treehugger; but I love the earth and all the animals in it! Lol! And I feel like hunting and tracking your harvest is a wayyyyyy more humane way of putting food on the table, rather than buying meat that was harvested from a cow that had its legs broken and stuffed in a cage and force-fed its food. It also connects us with our ancestors. And hunting is a way for people to connect with the earth in a way that is becoming lost on the techno-babble that the kids have today. When me and the wife eventually do have kids, I want to teach them to live off the land and be grounded rather than have their faces stuck to a videogame all day.

Anyways, enough of my ranting, sorry for that! hahah! I've got a patrol in a few hours, so I reallly need to grab some shut eye!

Again, thanks for the words! You guys seem like a great bunch!

March/April is a long time to be reading the same magazine. You have access to mail? Why don't you post or PM me your address, I'll send you some new stuff.

Great hunt yesterday! Lol! Got my stalk on, though the prey's senses weren't as sensitive as a deer. Whatever, huntin's huntin!

Breacher, mail would be amazing! You would have a friend for life! We don't get mail very often, cuz we're way down South on a teeny tiny outpost, but when it does come, its a better feeling than christmas as a kid! The address is:

Alex Khalkhali
1 MEF PAT 1
Unit 42652
FPO, AP 96427-2652
United States

I don't need nuthin fancy, a simple letter talking about normal life back stateside is great. Anything'll do, the guy's just want to see something that doesn't have to do with Afghanistan. Lol. And no need to really trouble yourself with it, we understand everyone's real busy. We appreciate everyone's concern!

BowSlinger said:
Great hunt yesterday! Lol! Got my stalk on, though the prey's senses weren't as sensitive as a deer. Whatever, huntin's huntin!

Breacher, mail would be amazing! You would have a friend for life! We don't get mail very often, cuz we're way down South on a teeny tiny outpost, but when it does come, its a better feeling than christmas as a kid! The address is:

Alex Khalkhali
1 MEF PAT 1
Unit 42652
FPO, AP 96427-2652
United States

I don't need nuthin fancy, a simple letter talking about normal life back stateside is great. Anything'll do, the guy's just want to see something that doesn't have to do with Afghanistan. Lol. And no need to really trouble yourself with it, we understand everyone's real busy. We appreciate everyone's concern!

Not trouble at all. I've already talked to someone and we're gonna send you guys some stuff. Hang tight.....

way to go breacher! great guy! good luck and welcome to the site and thanks for ur service 8)

Breacher, thanks a ton! And no rush, we'll be out here til March/April. Lol!

josec, right? That's why I love outdoor people, they're friendly!

Breacher said:
I'll assume you're in the Marine Corps? Welcome to the site. So Afghanistan has those same archery bugs? Sounds like you've been bitten bad!

I have never been to the Kandahar Air base, but I have heard that there is an archery range on base there.

Bowslinger,

There is now a box of magazines and some candy in the mail and on its way over there. Not sure how long it will take but hopefully its sooner than later!

Alex ( aka BOWSLINGER) when you get back State Side Hit me up I have all kinds of archery spots near where you grew up in Pasadena. We Tree stand hunt that area like they are white tails. The A31 Tag lets you shoot a doe or buck over a long season!!!!!

Stay safe and get home bro

Hi Bowslinger. I too actually live in Oceanside at the moment and like you would like to start bowhunting. I took the online course and will be finishing the safety course early December. Just like you no one in my family is a hunter but I love shooting longbows (traditional archer) and figured there wasn't a better challenge then taking my target skills to the field! Well anyway just wanted say Hello.

Jeremy

HHlongbow said:
Hi Bowslinger. I too actually live in Oceanside at the moment and like you would like to start bowhunting. I took the online course and will be finishing the safety course early December. Just like you no one in my family is a hunter but I love shooting longbows (traditional archer) and figured there wasn't a better challenge then taking my target skills to the field! Well anyway just wanted say Hello.

Jeremy

Not sure how often bowslinger gets to check the site. He's stationed in Afghanistan hunting dangerous game. You may have seen some mention of a collection effort for care packages to be sent over there. Stay tuned for more on that....

Hey everyone! Sorry, super busy week out here!

Things are going good. I've been asking around and bugging the country guys out here to learn ANYthing about hunting. Learning some cool stuff.

Ajsnack, I haven't been to Kandahar yet, but supposedly we might stop through there on the way home, so I will DEFINITELY check it out and let you know!

Breacher and everyone else that helped, thanks again guys for the package! I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it! It's a huge morale boost! We should be getting a mail drop in a few weeks. HOPEFULLY. Lol!

Aeon, I will DEFINITELY be hitting you up when I get back man! I never even knew there was good hunting near Pasadena! The only place I would think of would be Azusa canyon. I'll PM you when I get more time (in a rush now, lol) to get your info and give you mine.

HHlongbow, you've come to the right site man. As you can see, everyone here is SUPER supportive! I'll send you my info too and we can meet up when I get back!

To everyone, GOOD LUCK AND SAFE HUNTING! AND THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!

Welcome to the site and thank you for your service.

Papi
Webmaster

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu