Brand New Hunter in Orange County

winnie

Nov 28, 2012
Hello!

My name's Eric, 38, originally from New York, been living here in Orange County since 2007. Did a lot of fishing back in NY (both freshwater and saltwater) and have always wanted to start hunting.

I have a little bit of experience with guns, having had an ex-girlfriend who's father would take us to the shooting range quite often. I plan on making my first rifle purchase within the next month or two and then hit the range as often as I can. I'd like to work on my shooting and make some gear purchases over the course of the year. I've been reading a lot of hunting books and magazines as well as this site and forum. I'm still wrapping my head around the zones and tags, etc. While I'm getting prepared, I'm really getting excited and anxious to start hunting.

I've noticed a few newbies like me looking for hunting partners. Would love to use this forum to meet some experienced hunters or fellow newbies so we can learn together. I was wondering if there were any organized clubs or gatherings in Southern California at all.

Anyway, it’s pretty cool just learning, reading, looking at gear catalogs, etc. Spent the afternoon at Bass Pro Shops in Rancho Cucamonga last week! It definitely got me stoked to start hunting!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Eric

Welcome Eric! I live in Oceanside at the moment I am not from California either moved here in 06'. I will be working in San Juan Capistrano shortly. Unfortunately I don't have any interest in guns. I am strictly a longbow shooter. Maybe we can help each other out though? I know what you mean I have been scratching my head over all the zones and finding out where to go and how to get there. lol

Jeremy

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu