Brine or buttermilk for ducks

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
Which do you guys prefer for soaking duck breasts? I got a couple of spoonies, Gadwalls, ruddys, a bufflehead and a cinnamon that I’m going to experiment with.

Depends what you're making... but I'd say salt water brine the spoonies, gadwall, and cinnie. Save the buff for the wall if it's pretty and give the ruddy to the dog.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brine, change the water once or twice a day until you eat or freeze them.

I only use plain water changed for about 3 or 4 days....Try making ruddy stuffed jalapenos wrapped with bacon (Matt?)….Delish.

.View attachment 38019

That’s right Steve! Don’t give the ruddy to the dog! My poppers are always a hit at Steve’s made 40 and they were gone! Just remove all the fat and put a piece of meat about the size of you finger in the pepper that been cut in half. I use mild peppers to not over power the duck. A little cream cheese with your favorite spices and wrap em and grill em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends what you're making... but I'd say salt water brine the spoonies, gadwall, and cinnie. Save the buff for the wall if it's pretty and give the ruddy to the dog.

I’m definitely mounting my next buff but I kinda felt like cooking my first one.

Another hit at the party was the ducks (widgeon) marinated in Trader Joe's sweet chili sauce....Cooked on the Traeger.

One more, and this is for the big game boys....I kept my deer ribs this year....Boiled, smothered in honey & brown sugar....Then Sweet Baby James BBQ sauce....Again, on the Traeger...….Delish
.003.JPG

Last edited:
I know this might be a little late since the season is over and many of you guys don't keep the skin on your duck breast but this is what I have been doing for a few years now and everyone that has tried them this way, including myself kids, love them.

No brine necessary I just soak in water IF they are bloody from being shot hard otherwise no soak required. Only thing is they must NOT be cooked over med-rare. If they are they will be ruined..

https://honest-food.net/how-to-cook-duck-breasts/

I know this might be a little late since the season is over and many of you guys don't keep the skin on your duck breast but this is what I have been doing for a few years now and everyone that has tried them this way, including myself kids, love them.

No brine necessary I just soak in water IF they are bloody from being shot hard otherwise no soak required. Only thing is they must NOT be cooked over med-rare. If they are they will be ruined..

Ron,

Couple of the boys cooked theirs with skin on....They said was the best....Got to give it a try next season.

Reactions: duck-boy

I agree... this is a post from last season but it's the same thinking.. a couple mallard, spoony, and teal breasts cooked like a steak. Sear on med-high, render out that fat if you got the skin and fat on, then finish in the oven with a pan sauce. Gotta eat em medium rare. Now I gotta do my ducks in the freezer.. got more than a few!
d557ef7d9c46ffd116ed28d813b6b415.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu