Broad heads

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
I was just wondering, what broadheads do you guys use? I use the G 5 Montecs. But next season I might try something else. So any Goodluck with the ones you're using?

Grim Reaper mechanicals, mostly. For fixed blade, I've got the Magnus Stinger 4-blade, but haven't shot it at an animal.

I am a fan of fixed blade broadheads have personal experience with the G5 Montec's. I have killed two bucks with them and both times they were extremely effective.

This year I switched to the Rage two blade mainly out of convenience. They fly just like field tips. I used them on that bear on my avatar. The Rage performed very well HOWEVER...... the shot was a little far back. The broadhead went through soft tissue ONLY and didn't touch bones. I would really like to see some pictures of what the blades look like after going through ribs/ bone and whether or not they would hold up as good as a fixed blade.

I shoot the G5 montecs also, killed one deer with them. It did the job. I am looking to get some mechanicals this season.

Breacher: I havent shot Rage or mechanicals but I am pretty sure they will go right through the bones and such, but they wont hold as well because they just need to be replaced after the shot. To the best of my knowledge.

I've killed 1 deer with my Montecs. Destroyed it, didn't go 100 yards on a 63 yard shot. My cousin shoots the Rage and said pretty much shoots just like his fieldpoints, he hasn't killed a deer yet though.. But my Montecs need little adjustment from my field tips. I'm just not sure if I want the mechanicals. Tough decision...

Ajsnack said:
I shoot the G5 montecs also, killed one deer with them. It did the job. I am looking to get some mechanicals this season.

Breacher: I havent shot Rage or mechanicals but I am pretty sure they will go right through the bones and such, but they wont hold as well because they just need to be replaced after the shot. To the best of my knowledge.
[/quote

That's exactly why I prefer the fixed blades. Just re-sharpen them and you're good to go. Its convenient not having to re-tune your bow when switching from field points to broadheads....

I have killed two deer with the Montecs. One broadhead was never found the other hit bone and was bent up bad. Quit using them after that, in my opinion they are to soft. As for the rage they fly good and are fine for deer size game but I would look at the VPA for anything bigger. Maybe Srfnkill or Mergrath could give some info on the VPA's

Lungpopper said:
I have killed two deer with the Montecs. One broadhead was never found the other hit bone and was bent up bad. Quit using them after that, in my opinion they are to soft. As for the rage they fly good and are fine for deer size game but I would look at the VPA for anything bigger. Maybe Srfnkill or Mergrath could give some info on the VPA's

That's weird.. My montec passed right through the lungs and stuck about a foot deep in the ground behind it. And still as sharp as when I released it. I might be hunting elk with my bow next year so I'll need something that will be good for that.

I shot a deer this year with the rage 2 blade 2.3" and it made up for the not so perfect shot, only went 30 yds.
I have the blitz canted fixed 3 blade, but haven't had the chance to send them through anything with a heartbeat yet.

Captaintb said:
I shot a deer this year with the rage 2 blade 2.3" and it made up for the not so perfect shot, only went 30 yds.
I have the blitz canted fixed 3 blade, but haven't had the chance to send them through anything with a heartbeat yet.

Have you had any probs with the rage 2 not opening all the way?

RAGE !!!!!!!!
I have never lost a big game animal AFTER I switched to Rage 2 blade and I think it's because they fly true and cut a huge hole.

10 deer 8 pass through
1 bear pass through
1 bobcat, pass through
1 pig, pass through

They are a disposable broadhead in my opinion, so I don't care if they are all bent after going through bone. I wouldn't risk losing a deer by trying to re-use one.

You are going to get a lot of different opinions here but let me just say that they will all kill on a perfectly placed shot.

Now, here's my $0.02:

There is no stronger broadhead than a one piece steel design. (Here is a couple videos I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE6Qfq0qjZ4 ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYR8VT62R5E ) VPA heads are the only true one piece steel design. You can actually break the ferule off of a Montec (cast) head. I have shot Montec G5's, Strikers, Wac em's and Slick Tricks. At some point I have bent or broke blades off of all four of those. The downside to the VPA heads is that they are made out of steel. Steel rusts very quickly and while hunting in wet weather you will have to constantly be touching them up. But that is honestly the only downside to these heads. I don't see adjusting my sight from field tips to broadheads as an inconvenience. To me that is when I am putting the final touches on my off-season program and the excitement is high. I also find these adjustments to be extremely minimal and not much more than I had to adjust when shooting a Rage.

I can take any angle shot I want and not have to worry about blades deploying or deflection. I can also shoot through tall grass. Please, someone try doing that with a Rage head. I got rejected a few years back by the smallest amount of prairie grass and that was the end of my expandable head Rage days. If you are ever shooting at a bedded deer this is a very likely scenario. Not too mention the blades opening up while putting on a stalk or...sitting on my bow hanger.

The valid argument for an expandable is that they fly great (low wind resistance) and they leave massive wound channels. Fixed blade heads will not make a bad shot a good shot or a good shot a great shot...but I like the piece of mind with the fixed heads. They are dummy proof which fits me perfectly! ;D

I can't stress this last part enough, please practice with what you are going to hunt with...before you go hunting! So many people just screw on and go. Most don't own a broadhead target but that is not an excuse. We all owe it to these animals to be proficient with our equipment before taking to the field.

I would say Buckhunter has put up some stats that indicate the rage to be very effective. ::)

Or is he just getting progressively more proficient at his craft?

Or is it a combination?

Or? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Re: Broadheads

Mergrath said:
The downside to the VPA heads is that they are made out of steel. Steel rusts very quickly and while hunting in wet weather you will have to constantly be touching them up.

There is a product called "Boeshield T-9®" that you can lightly spray or wipe on to your broadhead's that will eliminate corrosion. It is not oil based (it is very much like an ultra thin viscous wax). We sell it at Fine Firearms in both liquid and spray form.

NBK said:
I would say Buckhunter has put up some stats that indicate the rage to be very effective. ::)

Or is he just getting progressively more proficient at his craft?

Or is it a combination?

Or? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Never did I state that they weren't effective. They are ALL effective with proper shot placement. I would assume that Buckhunter practices???

My point is that I don't think that a mechanical is always the best choice for certain situations...or people. :-*

Re: Broadheads

NBK said:
Mergrath said:
The downside to the VPA heads is that they are made out of steel. Steel rusts very quickly and while hunting in wet weather you will have to constantly be touching them up.

There is a product called "Boeshield T-9®" that you can lightly spray or wipe on to your broadhead's that will eliminate corrosion. It is not oil based (it is very much like an ultra thin viscous wax). We sell it at Fine Firearms in both liquid and spray form.

Does it come in earth scent? ;D I wont use anything that smells like a chemical. I actually have extensive experience with lubricants as you know and most waxes with an embedded corrosion inhibitor have a funk smell that I wouldn't bow hunt with. I've actually been trying to develop my own. ;)

Besides, my holes look cooler than yours! 8)

buck9-19-10x2.jpg

My last four archery deer have died within 60 yards...three of those were within 20 yards. One mistake I made early on in archery hunting was aiming too far back as I was scared of hitting the shoulder. Now I aim for the arm pit which seems to work great for me.

[\quote]
I can't stress this last part enough, please practice with what you are going to hunt with...before you go hunting! So many people just screw on and go. Most don't own a broadhead target but that is not an excuse. We all owe it to these animals to be proficient with our equipment before taking to the field.
[/quote]

Trust me I shoot like 200 arrows a week.. About 300 with my practice broadheads the week before season. I can hit vitals at 65 yards every shot. So I got my practice down...
Do like fixed blade. But right now I'm leaning with the rage...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whitetail-365/2012/11/bowhunters-don%E2%80%99t-aim-too-close-front-shoulder

Hit the vital with a sharp broadhead, Mechanical or fixed. High percentage of finding your game

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu