Broadhead help

Tmartinez822

Nov 30, 2015
I am going hunting the first week in April and I am trying to figure out which broadheads to use. I am going to a ranch that offers exotic sheep and wild boar. I have the Montec CS Broadhead as well as the Swacker 2 inch Broadheads. I am just trying to figure out which one is better out of the two. I have gotten mixed reviews on both of them. Any help on this topic would be great. Thank you.

Either will work just don't try to go thru the shoulder with the expandable it could fail to open or not go deep enough. Behind the elbow or qtr away shots the best for the bow but I will also take the front chest shot and broadside low neck/front of shoulder shots if that's all I get.....

MJB said:
Either will work just don't try to go thru the shoulder with the expandable it could fail to open or not go deep enough. Behind the elbow or qtr away shots the best for the bow but I will also take the front chest shot and broadside low neck/front of shoulder shots if that's all I get.....

Thank for the helpful advice. I will remember to shoot alittle further back behind the shoulder.

You can use either for sheep, but avoid mechanicals on pigs. If your shot is forward or you take a shot quartering toward you, mechanicals can invert and back out, even after they've penetrated several inches. I've used both on pigs out of necessity, and fixed blades, if they don't pass all the way through, will hold and continue to cut the pig's insides if he runs.
Mechanicals also lose energy as they deploy so they are less likely to pass through a pig. What is your draw weight, broadhead weight and overall weight of your arrows? I don't think those variables matter for sheep, but they sure do matter for tough-hide game like pigs.

I've been using the Shuttle T's and been loving them. Super tough broadheads. I know they're different animals, but I shot a pretty big Javelina couple months ago and got a clean pass through.. Broadside shot at 28 yrds..

Bonejour said:
You can use either for sheep, but avoid mechanicals on pigs. If your shot is forward or you take a shot quartering toward you, mechanicals can invert and back out, even after they've penetrated several inches. I've used both on pigs out of necessity, and fixed blades, if they don't pass all the way through, will hold and continue to cut the pig's insides if he runs.
Mechanicals also lose energy as they deploy so they are less likely to pass through a pig. What is your draw weight, broadhead weight and overall weight of your arrows? I don't think those variables matter for sheep, but they sure do matter for tough-hide game like pigs.

I am using 400gr arrows, 100gr broadheads and pulling 70lbs.

Tmartinez822 said:
Bonejour said:

I am using 400gr arrows, 100gr broadheads and pulling 70lbs.
That will deliver plenty of energy for a fixed broadhead to pass through if you hit behind the near shoulder, but you'll get better penetration on a less-than-perfect shot using a 125gr broadhead.
You'll get initial penetration with a 2" mechanical as well, especially 125gr, but I wouldn't expect it to pass through and it may not produce a lethal injury even with a well placed shot. You just lose too much energy as the blades deploy in the pig's hide.
Anyway that's my two cents. Hope it's helpful.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu