broadhead weight for deer?

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
friend says i should be shooting 125 gr. broadheads for deer, im currently setup and dialed in with 100gr fixed broadheads, shooting at 57lb pull, are there benefits for 125gr broadhead ,if so will i need to also change arrows?

You would need to move your pins. 20 wouldn't change but the rest will.
Probably not change your arrows. You will know when you shoot them.
The extra weight will drive the arrow deeper through the animal. For deer not needed, maybe for pigs.

What's the weight of your arrow and the speed? Google kinetic energy calculator and inner your info and see what kind of energy you are getting.

I use 100's but really have no idea what I am doing. So that's my 2 cents. B&A set me up though.

Drew, as LP said, 125gr broadheads get you deeper penetration. You don't need it for deer, but I f you were to tell Bruce you are going to start hunting pigs or elk with your bow, my guess is that he'd probably move you up to 125gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info from very one. I use 125, but 100 is fine. Hit a doe first hunt with a !ongbow. Went right through the deer at 40 yards. I did it because no one told me i should not do that. Now I know better.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu