Buck down

Well I got my first buck down for this season. Out of state, Utah.

I was a little worried going into this hunt, as I didn't have time to scout. With 8 days to hunt I wasn't too worried, especially with the information I had acquired from a family member.

We left early Saturday morning, stopped at bass pro in vegas to get some extra supplies for the trip. After that we were on the road hoping to have time to glass a little bit before dark.

We planned to stay 2 nights in a hotel, then after that was going to be 4-5 miles deep in the back county living out of our back packs.

As we rolled through town we decided to head straight to the hunting area with about an hour left of day light.

We got to the parking area and unloaded the ranger, got our gear loaded and headed out.

I ended up missing the road we were to supposed to take. We decided to just keep moving toward a promising looking mountain-side.

We got to a good glassing spot and within a few minutes I had a deer spotted at about 1000 yards away. I got the spotting scope out and confirmed he was a shooter buck.

Me and kellen headed after him with hopes of getting to 500 yards before it was too dark.

We got to the shooting spot, found the buck bedded down. I ranged him and got my data for a 472 yard shot. The first shot I was right over his back, I'm assuming because my barrel was super cold. He stood up and I put the second shot right in his lungs and hammered him.

We moved quickly to try to get a picture before light faded.

After we got him gutted we drug him back to the ranger and headed back to the truck.

Just like that my hunt was over!

View attachment 33427

View attachment 33428

View attachment 33429

View attachment 33430

View attachment 33431

The last picture is of him and my 3 point from California last year. The 3 point is 141 b&c and the 4 scored 130 b&c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on a great buck!

Reactions: TaftHunter
Hey congrats man ! Great buck, don’t let anyone give you a hard time about shooting at or shooting a buck out of there bed we would all do it or have done it . Was this a general buck tag ? And if you don’t mind me asking what unit ?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu