Buck down

d16ridgehiker

Oct 26, 2011
Its been a long season. Ive worked my butt off and hiked a ton of miles and saw only does all season. Finally saw this guy this morning 400 yards away with a doe. Ive shot this far before but never at a deer. After the shot I was sure he was down. I didnt see him run off and the doe stood around for another minute or two before trotting off slowly.. Figured if he ran off she would have too. Texted some friends that were hunting near by to let them know I shot at a buck and I was going to search for him. After the hike down the ridge thru some rough thick brush I got down to the area I knew they were at. Found all kinds of tracks and scat but no deer. Was looking for blood....no blood anywhere. After 30 mins of circling I almost gave up, the sun was coming up fast and it was getting hot. Walked back to the top of a nearby rockpile 60 yards away and looked back down at the area. I knew he was in there and decided I wasnt giving up on the search. Another 15 mins later I found him about 50 yards going over into the next canyon. I drug him up hill 30 yards to a clearing and gutted him when my friends showed up and yelled my name. They came down and help cut him up and pack him out back up this hill thru some very thick brush. Well worth the work. Didnt get the best pics. Needed to get him cut up fast with the heat and the pack out uphill being brutal.

.20171125_080713.jpg 20171125_081216.jpg 20171125_081506.jpg 20171125_094831.jpg IMG_1211.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dano,

Great going and thanks for sharing......Boy, that IS some thick $hit.....lol

Last edited:
Thanks all. It really was my last opportunity to fill my D16. Had to work Sunday morning and told my wife I would spend some time with her since we didnt have the kids this weekend.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu