Budget Rifles.

Listen man, high end guns are real nice.

Not everyone can afford 4000 bucks before you throw your glass on it, that’s why god produced the ruger american.

I got maybe 750 in to my ruger american 6.5CM threw a $10 m-carbo trigger spring in it and this setup will ring the 850 steel bear at pala all day. Is it a bench gun no, but will you put deer on the ground, yea man.

If you can wait and save to build your gun do so but if not. TC, savage and Ruger all have good entry level guns.

I hand load for my Ruger american 243. I put a CDS on it and I can ring a 12" gong at 4-500 yards all day. My only complaint about the american is that the bolt doesn't lock shut and it opens sometimes while walking with the gun on a sling.

Reactions: Dawnandusk and Jred
I bought a Remington 783 in .223 Rem. It is very accurate...HOWEVER... I'd have to recommend AGAINST getting one.

It seems to have some occasional problems which I think are related to the magazine.

Sometimes when drawing the bolt back open... besides the round that is ejecting... a round will occasionally pop off the top of the magazine... then... when the bolt is being worked forward again... it grabs whatever one is now at the top of the magazine AS WELL and you've got a traffic-jam with 2 rounds!

Or.. occasionally I've worked the bolt and it hasn't grabbed a round off the top of the mag at all.

Now... I haven't had those problems happen in quite some time now, and here is what I do to prevent them from happening:

The plate in the mag which pushes up the rounds... the design is such that it can allow the plate to rocker/see-saw away from being flat/horizontal/true inside the mag. So... when loading rounds into the mag... I make sure with each round inserted into the mag... with a finger at each end of the round, I push the round up-and-down a few times, to make sure it's seated within the mag properly. Both in terms of sitting properly flat, and it's front-to-back position within the mag opening as well.

Also I cleaning the inside of the mag seemed to help as well. So the inside is not as slick anymore. I also avoid using Nickel-plated cases in that rifle. The smoother Nickel plated cases seemed to be a degree more prone to that popping off the top of the mag prematurely thing.

Like I say, I haven't had the problem happen in quite a while now, because I'm much more thorough and careful to inspect how the rounds are sitting within the mag now. And don't use ammo with Nickel plated cases if I can help it.

Another Gentleman on YouTube posted a video showing the same issue, and he noted that if he didn't insert into the mag the topmost, last round number... the issue didn't ever happen for him. He demoed that on his video.

Just putting these findings on here to share and possibly help someone else who bought one.

Reactions: Jred
Thank you all. Lots of good advice like always, this is the most reliable site on the Internet. I got Jack O'Connor's Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns and I'm going to check out Larry's suggestion about the recoil chart. I need a general purpose rifle, so far I like the Ruger American Predator, a little pricier than the base model but comes with a Vortex scope. In the meantime I want to take the old 30.06 back to the range and give it another try. The range officer was trying to help the other day but it's hard to sight in a peep sight rifle at 50 yrds without binoculars. One last question, are there no Remington rifle fans here?

Do not get a predator rifle unless thats its intended purpose or you plan on using to punch a lot of paper quickly. The Bull barrels are a lot of extra weight that you dont want to carry around deer hunting. In your OP it sounded like you were looking at deer calibers.

Remingtons QC has dropped considerably in the past few years. I seen many come back in our store for warranty repairs(mostly the 870's). The 700 line has a lot of aftermarket accessories though; where one can customize it to be an amazing shooter.

Stay away from the 783 lol unless its for a kid or a sale price you cant pass up.

Reactions: Jred
Where would be the converging point be at?

Most of you guys seem to be more towards Sand Diego and Riverside Counties, that I've noticed.

I'm way up here by the border of North OC.

Listen man, high end guns are real nice.

Not everyone can afford 4000 bucks before you throw your glass on it, that’s why god produced the ruger american.

I got maybe 750 in to my ruger american 6.5CM threw a $10 m-carbo trigger spring in it and this setup will ring the 850 steel bear at pala all day. Is it a bench gun no, but will you put deer on the ground, yea man.

If you can wait and save to build your gun do so but if not. TC, savage and Ruger all have good entry level guns.

Take this advice.

I can over analyze anything, but mostly in the name of research and boredom.

The gun you buy isn't going to make a damn difference when it comes to killing an animal. Any good reliable gun will work, just get a caliber that you want. Too much recoil, throw a Limbsaver on it.

I try to think of reasons I "need" a new gun, but generally I am just trying to justify the purchase to myself.

Spend time in the field and you will kill animals. They don't care what rifle you have.

FWIW... I shoot a 300 WSM and every year I say I am going to buy a 25 06 for antelope. Then I shoot another antelope with my 300 WSM....

Where would be the converging point be at?

Most of you guys seem to be more towards Sand Diego and Riverside Counties, that I've noticed.

I'm way up here by the border of North OC.
I don't care where it is.
I will drive if it means that I will have a good time with like minded people.
That being said, I ignore of places north of San Diego. I have heard that near Temecula there are good places or gun ranges where we could go. I would leave that to people that know.
I am a member of South Bay rods and guns in Dulzura. That is an awesome range were we can shoot up to 300 yards.

I believe you guys are on to something here. Monthly shoot
With friendly hang out.
I may not make this one but I will try like hell to make the next one and there after.. ...:)

Spend time in the field and you will kill animals. They don't care what rifle you have.

FWIW... I shoot a 300 WSM and every year I say I am going to buy a 25 06 for antelope. Then I shoot another antelope with my 300 WSM....

If I can manage to hit another deer with a bow next year... then I'll try for a 2nd tag with a Revolver.

If I don't have any luck with the bow, I'll bring this new Marlin 1894 .44 Mag for her first blood!

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I am looking at an Ruger American 6.5, for $200 more It comes with a mounted Vortex® Crossfire II® 4-12 x 44 Riflescope, is it worth the extra $200 for the factory mounted scope or would that be better spent on another scope? I have never owned a Vortex before.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Thanks for your responses. A lot of Ruger fans it seems. My problem is that my 30.06 is an old model FN with peep sights which I posted here when I joined the forum. I was going to have it drilled to put a scope on it and use it for my first hunting season but I was told that would totally ruin its value as a collectible and it would cost as much as an entry level rifle with a scope. I took it to the range the other day. I was unable to sight in the peeps ( probably because my own inexperience) and I was... let's say greatly surprised by how powerful the round was, so I'm back in square one looking for a rifle I can afford. May be I can wait a little longer. IView attachment 38833f those options are not decent quality, what would be the next best thing?
You should start at 25 yards . Get it dial in. What's important is to get it to group first. Use a good steady rest. Take a deep breath and hold.
And stay relax. Study the military hold. Google it and study it.
Don't over grip the rifle. It will cause you to be in consistent....
Go to the range like pk2000 and pay to get instructions. It will help.
You need to get your grouping first.
Then dial in.

Reactions: Dawnandusk and Jred
I am looking at an Ruger American 6.5, for $200 more It comes with a mounted Vortex® Crossfire II® 4-12 x 44 Riflescope, is it worth the extra $200 for the factory mounted scope or would that be better spent on another scope? I have never owned a Vortex before.
My son in law just purchased this model with the vortex.
Yes I recommend it.
Excellent starter setup..
You will need a brake for it..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu